Exterior clean out issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Diabel

Minister of Fire
Jan 11, 2008
Ottawa, ON
It was a pleasant day today and I decided to clean my chimney. I have only put about 1/2 cord through the stove last season and maybe 10 stove loads this season. I brought my sooteater from the city and this meant be a 15min job from bottom of the clean out up. My plan was to only clean from past the thimble up as I did not burn that much last year and I did not feel like removing the cat, cleaning behind it and replacing the cat gasket. Plus, most of the bad stuff accumulates at the end of the chimney run as per forum experts.

As I loosened the butterfly nuts, the bottom lid would not come loose. It came out with the help of a screwdriver (no damage to the chimney). What I found was 2” of brown ice buildup at the bottom of the clean out. Very strange! I broke the ice through and proceeded to clean the chimney.

To my surprise, there was hardly any deposits, maybe 1/2 of a cappuccino cup, and only at the first 2’ from the bottom. There was 0 deposit in the last 19’ up to the cap. That is a good thing.

Now, what the heck was that water/ice doing there? We have had some wild rains along with winds off the lake in the past month or so, but I am a bit concerned. Would the water be coming through the cap down. Or is something else going on here.

Hopefully, it's just windblown rain. Some caps protect against that better than others.

If its not getting back into the stove or inside the house I wouldn't worry too much about it. I get it in the bottom of my cleanout sometimes.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Reactions: Diabel