Eye protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Using no ear protection is dangerous also. Loud noise kills you high frequencies.
If you have trouble hearing in crowded places, you're on your way. plug your ears!

As I get older I am starting to realize that I am not invincible. Several farmers around me either died or had to drag themselves to safety after an accident. I always wear safety glasses.

I can't drag my ass to safety if I can't see where I am going.

Around the time I turned 40 I started wearing my safety glasses more and more. i have shaded ones that i almost always wear outside. I'm liking my ear protection more and more too! I wish I had started the ear protection about 15 years ago though. Crowded places hurt now, and I can't hear my wife too well either.:confused:

Usually when I am sawing and splitting I wear eye protection but once or twice when I was only going to be at it for a little while I've forgetten to bring my eye glass things, and rather than go back and get them I've just went ahead without. Is this a horrible idea? Once or twice the wind has blown the wrong way and I've gotten some annoying sawdust in my face but otherwise I haven't really had any near accidents and I guess I'm afraid (actually probably the wife is afraid) I'm letting my guard down too much. I guess I'm not even entirely sure what they are even supposed to be protecting me from -- I'm assuming sawdust? flying bits of metal from my wedge? pokey branches snapping into my face?
One thing to keep in mind is you only have two eyes if something happens to one or both of them the chances of getting a new set is pretty slim.

My nieces boyfriend is a landscaper buy trade... He just got done weed whacking a clients place... He's ready to move on and see's two little spots he wants to hit with the weed whacker,, he leaves his safety glasses off for the 15 seconds it took to trim the two spots,,, bamm! Picks a stone up right into his eye. Wound up hitting him right were the color part starts in your eye,, blood spot... so you just never can let your guard down... He was lucky!

Around the time I turned 40 I started wearing my safety glasses more and more. i have shaded ones that i almost always wear outside. I'm liking my ear protection more and more too! I wish I had started the ear protection about 15 years ago though. Crowded places hurt now, and I can't hear my wife too well either.:confused:
I can't hear my wife to well either, and I use plugs.

Reactions: firefighterjake
Status
Not open for further replies.