Failure to start

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dkauffman101

Dec 16, 2020
Pennsylvania
I have an Englander 49-TR CPM stove that I have been using since 2009. For the first time I have ran into a problem that I am unable to resolve. Yesterday we shut down the stove for several hours in order to conduct a cleaning. Once done with the cleaning, everything was reassembled and attempted to start. When you plug in the stove, it gets power, the feeder auger briefly kicks on, and all LEDs on the control panel light as they normally would. When depressing the "ON" button, nothing happens. I have powered down the unit, conducted a reset, and verified all connections. All motors are functioning as they should. All buttons on the control panel work as they should, with the exception being the "ON" button. I tested the vacuum switch and the problem persists. I am truly at a loss at this point and hoping someone could provide some ideas. Thank you!

The ON button? Doesn’t do anything? Do any indicator lights come on?

Does yours have a hopper switch?

can you post a picture of the flame is it lazy? busy and bright? or like a blowtorch? can you see if the igniter is coming on?

It could be the ON button is developing intermittent connectivity when pushing it. Contact cleaner on switch may help.

If it has typical push switches they can be replaced if you are handy with a solder iron. I've purchased multi-packs of these switches with various heights in the past quite reasonably priced. Useful for different brands of control boards (Breckwell, Osburn, St Croix, etc).

unfortunately it is a membrane switch and if that is the issue only way to fix it is with a new control board

Ah, a silk screened electrical circuit on plastic membrane, unfortunate. I used to make those back in the 90's at a prototype electrical shop.

Sometimes the silver circuits develop cracks if there is a flex circuit/pigtail. If so, silver conductive pens can be used to fix them if trace is accessible, usually about a $10 product. I repaired a King stove years ago like this. Think the electrical break was at the crimped on connector of the membrane causing intermittent operation.