fair price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We install a few dozen light wall insulated liners every year and then go back and clean them. I never see any damage or signs of wearing out. I clean some that are 15 years old and get heavy use, no issues at all. Know no problems with them, combined with the lifetime warranty, lower cost for the customer, I don't have a problem with it.
I have seen some light wall fail but not that many but i doubt that they will still be in service after 30 years like many of out heavy wall liners. I always say that light wall will work fine but if asked i will always recommend heavy wall.

Strange that I called at least 10 different installers over the last few days and none of the them recommended insulating the liner
That is really surprising I know some guys that are always trying to be the lowest price and they typically never insulate but i am surprised not one out of 10 recommended it. Especially since just about every good liner manufacturer recommends it

Can I ask what his original quote was?
Trusted recommendations are key for me, but others here are correct about parts costs. And 35' of flex liner insulation alone cost more than $200 at a diy warehouse. People sometimes give their time for free, but I've never seen any professional offer to pay for 20% of your liner parts cost. And who is the warranty from?
Just for reference if you were buying just the parts yourself:
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/350/product/Flex-King-Chimney-Liner-6X35-Insert-Kit.html

original quote was 1400 for uninsulated. he was the installer the dealer we bought the stove from recommended. a couple other local guys were cheaper and he offered to match. I was shocked but not going to turn him down. He seems legit. He sent me the insurance policies and copies of all appropriate licenses. Said as long as we document a cleaning once a year the lifetime guarantee is maintained by manufacturer. If he sweeps it, he keeps the records etc...

I have dealt with simpson on a warrantee claim and honestly it doesn't mean much which is the same for most manufacturers. Here are a few sections to think about

This warranty does not cover normal wear and tear, smoke damage or damage caused by chimney fires, acts of God

DuraVent provides the following warranties for its products: One Hundred Percent (100%) MSRP 15 years from the date of purchase, and Fifty Percent (50%) thereafter, except for the following limitations on: all Termination Caps and DuraBlack® are warranted at One Hundred Percent (100%) for five years.

$1400 is a reasonable price still i think on the cheap side but defiantly in the ball park for that type of liner uninsulated. I say go for it but get it insulated And i would confirm with them that the quoted price will be the final price

signed and sent contract stating final price

good then you got a fantastic price i hope things go well

Strange that I called at least 10 different installers over the last few days and none of the them recommended insulating the liner even after I asked due to the advice given here. They said only if chimney was on wind side of house ,overlyhigh and fully exposed. I may just have them do it anyway but I wonder why they wouldn't jump at it due to the higher cost. Maybe easier labor?
That's it exactly. Sliding an uninsulated SS liner down the tile lined flue is quick and easy. In the winter, it sucks laying out the liner and gluing the insulation to the outside. It also makes the whole thing fatter and grabby and harder to slide down the flue (unless you get one of the new preinsulated flex liners I recently learned about on this site).

You said you had the blockoff plate from the prior install. Was the prior install a partial flex to just above the smoke shelf, or was it also a liner to a top cap?

That's it exactly. Sliding an uninsulated SS liner down the tile lined flue is quick and easy. In the winter, it sucks laying out the liner and gluing the insulation to the outside. It also makes the whole thing fatter and grabby and harder to slide down the flue (unless you get one of the new preinsulated flex liners I recently learned about on this site).

You said you had the blockoff plate from the prior install. Was the prior install a partial flex to just above the smoke shelf, or was it also a liner to a top cap?

prior install was just above the smoke shelf. This will hopefully improve performance. Although I never had any creosote problems before and always had good stove temps so I think the chimney drafts well. The new stove is a bit more finicky during low weather pressure and at start up so hoping this will address those.

job was done for the price quoted, on the day they initially told me. Even took the extra time to paint the T and liner that extends out from the smoke shelf, black to make it blend in better than the shiny ss.

job was done for the price quoted, on the day they initially told me. Even took the extra time to paint the T and liner that extends out from the smoke shelf, black to make it blend in better than the shiny ss.
Good for you you got a great deal. But i still dont know how they could have made any money on that install.

I wasn't going to argue with them. They were here for about 3.5hrs. They also gave me some type of verification form stating that everything is to code and was inspected/passed to give to my insurance agency. My insurance has never asked so, I guess I will just hold on to it in case they ever do...

They did a fair job for a fair price. Word of mouth has always and will always be the best advertisement.
I absolutely agree with you about word of mouth we don't do any advertizing it is all word of mouth and we have more work than we can handle but i do allot of installs and that is way below a fair price. I am very happy for ssouncy but like i said knowing what the materials cost i don't see how a business could survive on that amount of profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.