Fast way to clean the creosote, soot and everything in between by accident (fireview)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdonna

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Dec 16, 2008
mn
Yup, we have all had that moment of memory lapse. Mine was a major brain fart.

Last night I loaded 4 splits in the fireview, got distracted and closed down the bypass into cat mode. Kicker is I forgot to close down the air, it was wide open.

I was upstairs working on an office project and the room seemed warmer than usual, first clue. Wife comes home an hour later and says "the stove sure smells funny and the chimney was a bit smokey"

I said "oh crap" ran down stairs to see my stack temp was in the 500's, all the wood was almost to coals. Stove top 650 and the sides were in the 500's. Side door was at 950!

I got it cooled down in a hurry, but those are hot temps ! Needless to say, everything in the stove was squeaky clean. Fortunately there was no evidence of any chimney fire that I can tell. I am guessing the temps were even higher pre-burning down to coals.

Ceramic Cat survived just fine, only ill effect is that my loading door gasket lost a touch of tension, easy fix.

That is one tough rock I must say.

Write it off as a "stress test." You meant to do that %-P

pen

EPA stoves must work alot diff than older cast iron Ones.

On my jotul my flue always gets to 600 ish before and tapper her down and the stove will shoot up to a toasty 700ish after the flue falls back down to 300 ish.

Every day occuerance with the jotul

Guess I'll find out, my nc-30 is on the way, woohoo

Doh! Agreed though, very tough for such a pretty heater. . .like the Gina Carano of stoves. :) Built like the proverbial stone #@?*house. . .and double-walled! Worst case: the cat suffered some flame impingement, which I hear can crack the ceramic. Maybe when it's time to clean the cat, just do it with the cat in the stove instead of taking it out and moving it around.

Sounds like no harm done but this is certainly not to be recommended. Interesting that you state the wood was almost to coals but the wife said the chimney was smokey. Probably somewhere in that chimney some creosote got burned. Check it good just in cast. Stone temps not bad but that 950 on the door is certainly an attention getter.

It is possible there was a slight bit of burn off half way up the stack, I did pop off a couple pie plates and check the insulation wrap, and checked a couple temps. Yes I know they are supposed to be bricked over!

Not to pick on my better half, but pretty much everything the mechanical vocabulary is related to sounds funny or smells funny, so I take it with a grain of salt. In hindsight maybe that is why she is referred to as my better half!

Cheers from the midwest fireview cult.

Stack temp of 500 (single wall surface?) aint nothing, I hit that every day on every fire day in and day out some times 700 or so, cant do much about it, if I tried to keep it below 500 i would have one of those funky looking caps some have posted about lately.

I hear you there guys, I have another non cat stove and have owned others, those temps would not bother me. But when you run a fireview stack temps on single wall run between 250-400, so seeing 500's is high!

Status
Not open for further replies.