fastest seasoning wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My small start to wood heat

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-03-54.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-03-54.png
    538.6 KB · Views: 186
  • Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-03-46.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-03-46.png
    434.9 KB · Views: 195
  • Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-08-40.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-08-40.png
    545.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-03-41.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-09-19-03-41.png
    456.2 KB · Views: 179
What I said wasn't an opinion - it is factual, so "no" won't work there. Soft Maple, Cherry, Black Walnut, and Elm are all options in this situation. ALL of which are of a higher quality then pine.
Nah, it is only a fact in your opinion. Read my post, that is all factual too, IMO.

I'm a huge Pine fan. For me it is as much about my burning limitations as anything. As an evening and weekend burner with a small firebox I value the quick heat for an initial warm-up and the ability to burn down coals with a couple of small splits. I'll always have a place for it in my stack. To the initial question I'd definitely not turn my back on the faster drying hardwoods mentioned above but I'd actually focus on Pine and split as much of it as possible 4" or less without the bark and as square as I can get it for tight loading in the stove.

I split about 3 rounds. It was horrible to split. Idk if it's difficult to split cuz it was growing out of the side on the main trunk or what.

Cherry can be a bear to split as it tends to grow like its always trying to go around a corner.

Nice start, Ohiojoe .... keep it going !!

I am also a fan of cherry. Not much around here, but I take what ever I can get.

I split about 3 rounds. It was horrible to split. Idk if it's difficult to split cuz it was growing out of the side on the main trunk or what.
Cherry is typically pretty easy to split. But, as with other species, anywhere near a crotch or branch can be twisted and gnarly. You should find it easier to split normally. Ant infestation is common of Cherry also, at least a good majority of what I have had. Don't sweat them, they vacate after the wood is split.

Easier said that done at times, but they look stacked pretty tight. Leave them be if you want, but try and stack any additional stacks a bit loose. Air space between promotes better drying in shorter time.

+1 on the ants in the cherry, usually in the middle around here. I think if it weren't for the ants...

They do skidaddle in a hurry, and the birds get them right quick, unless one crawls up your pants leg ;)

Hogs is right about twisted and gnarly, but those pieces, once split, give you a nice pile of uglies for at home burning, when packing the stove isn't an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.