Felling wedges

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
This will probably seem elementary to most of you but,... What is the proper use for felling wedges? What do you use them for? Any tips?

I have a lot of differnt sizes it depends on the size of tree your cutting and the amount of lift needed to put the tree where you want it. I even double stack on some very large trees. Sometimes I just put one in to keep the saw from being pinched.

southbound said:
I use mine to fell trees ;)

You may be able to find what you are looking for here.........

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/cuts/notches.html

Great resource. Thanks.

I don't quite understand the use of the wedge to prevent binding. To do that, wouldn't you have to knock the wedge into the cut behind the saw? Seems like the saw would have to be well into the cut before you could push a wedge into the same cut behind the saw.

Kenster said:
southbound said:
I use mine to fell trees ;)

You may be able to find what you are looking for here.........

http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/logging/manual/felling/cuts/notches.html

Great resource. Thanks.

I don't quite understand the use of the wedge to prevent binding. To do that, wouldn't you have to knock the wedge into the cut behind the saw? Seems like the saw would have to be well into the cut before you could push a wedge into the same cut behind the saw.

I think you have it figured out pretty good! Thats exactly what you do with them.

I use the plastic wedges for cutting the lower big rounds on the trees. If you hit the plastic wedge it will cut it a bit but your blade will be OK. You also may need to pour a little oil on the bar depending on the round size. In MHO wedges are not great for felling. If you need a wedge the tree already wants to go the wrong way. In that case you should use a rope or climber depending on lean and weight.

I've used wedges in felling two times. I find them to be pretty useful for bucking when the lay isn't good and the log wants to pinch, but I can't cut from the other side.

wood spliter said:
I use the plastic wedges for cutting the lower big rounds on the trees. If you hit the plastic wedge it will cut it a bit but your blade will be OK. You also may need to pour a little oil on the bar depending on the round size. In MHO wedges are not great for felling. If you need a wedge the tree already wants to go the wrong way. In that case you should use a rope or climber depending on lean and weight.

Sorry, but wedges are made for felling. If you don't know how to use them properly that's one thing but why would I climb or tie off a rope when I can drop the tree exactly where I want using a few wedges?

wendell said:
wood spliter said:

Sorry, but wedges are made for felling. If you don't know how to use them properly that's one thing but why would I climb or tie off a rope when I can drop the tree exactly where I want using a few wedges?

+1

It is amazing what a little mechanical advantage can do....

ropes and wedges I will use at the same time if there is something that I must avoid at all cost! like a house.........

wood spliter said:
If you think wedges are not good for felling , you'd sheet yur panties watchin me kill back and side leaners. :coolsmile:
I always have 3 and if I'm workin around houses with big timber I'll use 8.

advantageousLEE said:
wood spliter said:
If you think wedges are not good for felling , you'd sheet yur panties watchin me kill back and side leaners. :coolsmile:
I always have 3 and if I'm workin around houses with big timber I'll use 8.

I have used 8 before maybe more and always throw a line in just- in- case when working around houses..

I've never used a wedge when felling but have often used push poles.

Fresh from Madeson's

DSC03631.jpg

I have cleared a spot for our house which is being built this spring. It is about 200 by 110 feet. I probably cut down close to 100 trees of various sizes.The place was fully timbered. While I tried to work for the middle to not destroy the looks of the trees that will be around the house. I then tried to fell the trees into the center opening. I have used felling wedges many times( sometimes coupled with a well placed rope). I have only had two trees go the "wrong way". There have been times when I have had to drive the wedges behind the saw. Most of the time that was not the case. I must confess that I have chewed up a couple of them (the wedges) pretty bad. I got mine from Bailey's. They have been life savers.

southbound said:
Fresh from Madeson's

DSC03631.jpg

awwwh there shiny.....that wont last lol

Flatbedford said:
Get this book.
http://wesspur.com/images/treegear/boo169-365.gif
It is all in there. Clearly explained with great pictures too. I have been through it a couple times and surely be through it a few more times.

+1
Nice reference to have around. It gets specific on some of the harder felling situations and different techniques to attack them safely!

wendell said:
wood spliter said:

I would not send a climber up a dead tree. I did not know that was one of the many variables we were talking about. In My Humble Opinion I think ropes are a better way to go. You can get a great amount of mechanical leverage with pulley's. Most of the tree work I have done has been urban. When there is a lean or in the woods I notch and drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.