Figuring out my fireplace -- glass doors and blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

area_man

Burning Hunk
Feb 12, 2013
Oregon City, OR
36wx24h, 24 deep. It's kind of big I guess, many/most inserts would fit it. It's got glass bifold doors and a blower with intake vents either side and a between-the-bricks vent into the room with a one hour dial-turn timer. I guess it wouldn't work if the power was off, so there's that to consider. It's got a spring-loaded cap at the top of the chimney controlled by a chain that hangs into the mouth of the fireplace.

I've only lit it twice, and both times I shut the glass doors and turned on the blower. It seemed to heat up the living room area pretty nicely, and with the ceiling fan distributing the heat it was pretty comfortable. An armload of wood kept the fireplace hot for 2-3 hours. There was nothing scientific about it but I think it heated up the space fairly well.

With the fireplace doors open, heat just blasted into the room. With the doors closed, the wood burned a long time (relatively speaking). Since it has a chain curtain, I could leave the glass doors open and run the curtain in front of the fire for safety, and blast heat into the room. From what I've read, the Texas fire grate that uses rounds would be very handy in focusing heat from the fireplace into the living room. Glass doors would not help the Texas fire grate, but would help the blower. I don't know what the better setup is.

Is the Texas fire grate an attractive visual thing? I doubt it's like a roaring hearth, which I think is just so cool to watch.

Thoughts, comments, scathing criticisms?

Fireplaces- yes they add some heat, but at the cost of a ton of air going up the flue. some are so bad that the room they are in is ok but furnace has to come on to make up for what is being sucked out of the rest of the home there by driving heating cost up not down. Next time you fire it up check with your hand how much cold air is flowing into room at floor level. you will be surprised. Personally I hate cold feet and cold air drafts, but I'm old cranky grouchy red meat and potatoes kind of guy.

Reactions: Madcodger
fireplaces are great to watch and they bring out the pyro in me :oops:::P but for the most part do suck, literally, for heat. i'm more of a function over form kind of guy so when I did have a fireplace, I either blocked it off and had a free standing stove on the hearth or had an insert with a portion of the stove (by design) sticking out into the hearth area and it had a block off plate integrated into it. growing up, we had a fireplace in the old farm house and I spent many an hour sitting on the hearth after coming in from sledding or doing chores.....I remember we would open the damper in the back of the fireplace, then close it until we got a little whiff of smoke, then open it back up a little until it was gone. I guess we were limiting some of the air flow going back out the flue. also it increased the burn time a little longer. we just had a screen, no glass at that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.