Finally a real CL score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chazcarr

Minister of Fire
Jan 22, 2012
Southbury, CT
I saw this add so I called and was told to come get it before 6pm.

Went home and grabbed my trailer and the tire was flat. Broken stem, so cannot be easily fixed.
Called my neighbor and went to get his trailer, same thing. Flat with a side puncture.
My cousin with the F-150 is away on vacation.

So I show up with my SUV only and he says just take what you want and come back.
I get two car loads before he has to lock up shop. 80 percent of it oak that has been heat treated.
He said he will call me next week if one other guy doesn't take the rest tomorrow.

As an added bonus, another worker at the place says he has four pine trees bucked up to 18 inch rounds and will drop that my place tomorrow for $20 in gas money. One large flatbed pickup worth. I said OK and will see if he shows up tomorrow to claim that bill.

Anyways, just wanted to share that I finally got something good off of CL after about three years of trying.

Here is the car filled up.
oakbeams2.jpeg

and here is the full grab I could make in two hours.

oakbeams1.jpeg

I have got to get that wheel repaired.

Nice ..that will make some great start up wood. Hope the oak burns since it was heat treated .. ! ;lol

Nice catch there. Some of those even look substantial enough to lay on the ground parallel to another, then another set end-to-end etc. to support a long single row of splits. If you have the room in your yard to stack like that.

+1 nice score! I get ten foot long oak pallets like that. Great for stacking and good burning but saving extras for a future wood shed

Chazcarr,

Very nice score man! I also have a difficult time getting any scores off of craigslist. Lots of burners up here I guess. Oh well. I have plenty I can cut, so I am fortunate. That Oak should be beautiful BTUs. Good luck to you on finding more free wood.

Reactions: chazcarr
Call your local tree guy's, they may drop you a free load

Thanks for the feedback. One more quick question... what type of sawzall blade do you suggest for cutting these up to stove length? I have some Bosh 6 inch pruning blades, but will need something bigger I think.

+1 nice score! I get ten foot long oak pallets like that. Great for stacking and good burning but saving extras for a future wood shed

The other person collecting these pallets was using them to build furniture. He brought a sander with him and smoothed a few pieces. They have beautiful grain and he took a lot of the long planks. I took one of the sanded pieces he left behind and it is almost too nice to burn. Maybe I will save a bit to make another bench to sell (so I can buy more wood).

Reactions: ScotO and CMAG
Thanks for the feedback. One more quick question... what type of sawzall blade do you suggest for cutting these up to stove length? I have some Bosh 6 inch pruning blades, but will need something bigger I think.

I'd pick up a cheap miter saw from Harbor Freight if none are larger than 4x4. Much faster and easier than a Sawzall, plus it's very handy to have for other projects.

Reactions: clemsonfor
I was gonna saw this. Get one from HF for cheap or get one of CL and put a framing or rough blade on it and whack um all in 2 seconds. Forget a sawzall. Or Bette. Get you an electric chainsaw.

I meant to quote the post above. Talking about a chop saw or miter saw.

I'd pick up a cheap miter saw from Harbor Freight if none are larger than 4x4. Much faster and easier than a Sawzall, plus it's very handy to have for other projects.

Are these saws OK for large nails? That is why I use the Sawzall. Thanks.

Best I've found for cutting them to length is a Stihl.

Are these saws OK for large nails? That is why I use the Sawzall. Thanks.

I don't know of any saw blade, circular or reciprocating or chainsaw, that does well with nails.

Reactions: Paulywalnut
I don't know of any saw blade, circular or reciprocating or chainsaw, that does well with nails.

I've had good luck with the Milwaukee blade recip blade called The AX 12-Inch, 5/8 TPI Super Sawzall Blade. It slices right through the nails in pallets, but is slower with the wood part strangely.

How long does it take rob cut a pile like that to size with a saw all!!!

Saws-all great for pallets with all the nails.

I have a pruning blade for my saws-all, the 6" one you have may work.
Not impressed with mine for pruning.
If you hit a nail the blade might be done.

Is there nails in the kiln dried oak you show in the picture?
If not , use the Stihl ;)

Cutting up pallets I use a combination of , my small Echo chainsaw, sawz all with a pruning blade ,if I get close to nails I switch to a blade that's for wood with nails, even that rough cutting blade ,cuts the wood fairly quick.
Using The chainsaw can get a little tricky , the sawz all is very safe

Reactions: chazcarr
The other person collecting these pallets was using them to build furniture. He brought a sander with him and smoothed a few pieces. They have beautiful grain and he took a lot of the long planks. I took one of the sanded pieces he left behind and it is almost too nice to burn. Maybe I will save a bit to make another bench to sell (so I can buy more wood).
I made this from Pallet wood , lazy Susan bearing on bottom, not a great pic ,It's actually a darker color
IMG_20110801_145426.jpg IMG_20110801_145529 - Copy.jpg

How long does it take rob cut a pile like that to size with a saw all!!!

With my Milwaukee and a combination of pruning and wood/metal blades it takes about 4 hours to go through all of that.
I lock a few even sizes into the Rockwell Jawhorse and slice down both sides. I have boxes to catch the falling pieces and then transport them where need be with a wheelbarrow. If I am positive that there are no nails, I will use the circular saw which is much faster.

You do what you gotta do!!

Status
Not open for further replies.