Finally cleaned the chimney after 2 years use.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Yes, I finally decided to clean the chimney that we put up during the summer of 2007. After 2 full winters burning (wood is our only source of heat) I'm guessing there was almost 1/2 cup of fine soot that came out. Not bad, eh?

I feel this is a testament to not only the new Woodstock Fireview stove and the cat., but also to our fuel supply. We occasionally take some kidding and have even been criticized several times because we have so much wood on hand. Somehow, I think this somewhat answers the ones who would criticize. Our wood is well seasoned and certainly not punky. We have no problems getting the wood to burn. For those few who aren't aware, we have about a 7 year supply of wood on hand that is all cut, split and stacked. All but 9 cords are covered and the 9 cords will be covered soon; probably in about a month.

This is the best testament to dry seasoned wood that can be. I think that it is unbelievable to be 7 yrs ahead. I don't have the property to be a full 2 yrs ahead for what i use. I am using some wood(cherry, beech and some sugarmaple) that has been split and seasoning at my fathers' house for about 3 yrs maybe more - i can't remember, but similar situation, no problems getting the wood to burn and getting more heat out of the stove than in the past.

Lots of respect for the diligence that is required to this much ahead. Those who criticize 'mock what they don't understand" hehe

Oh yeah?! Well try that using PINE! ;-P

In all seriousness, that is awesome, Dennis.

2 years and half a cup huh? Sounds like you're doing something right. I went 10 years and filled a cup.

LLigetfa said:
2 years and half a cup huh? Sounds like you're doing something right. I went 10 years and filled a cup.

Chimney? I don't need no stinkin chimney!

BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

Homeless barrels seldom do.

I bought the Fireview because the old stove (VC Resolute 1979) gunked up the flue after every 2 chords or so. One time I let it go for 3 chords before cleaning and I could hardly get the wire brush down the 6 inch stainless steel liner - I almost had to call a chimney sweep it was so bad. I was so paranoid that even after installing the Fireview I still started cleaning after every two chords, but so far each cleaning has yielded only a little bit of powdery fluff. Nothing like the full bucket of solid, crunchy and sometimes sticky creosote I used to get with the VC.

The first year with the Fireview the wood was not really dry (especially under the bark it was wet) but last spring I made sure the piles stayed well covered. I am hoping that this year when I re-load, temps rise faster and the cat lights off quicker. I had a few reloads last year that took a really long time to get hot before I could engage the Cat. Tarps alone are not enough to keep my wood dry - Critters chew holes in them and falling branches from above poke holes and the wood eventually gets wet. Now I covered the stacks with Plywood and then tarped over the plywood. We'll see how it goes.

LLigetfa said:
BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

Insert
music-smiley-009.gif
here.

happy0198.gif

LLigetfa said:
BrotherBart said:
LLigetfa said:

:lol: >:-( :lol:

Congrats Dennis! Do you have any cat concerns? I read somewhere that they cause global warming.

In all seriousness, that's pretty cool.
But something I'm wondering, just for the heck of it, can you use creosote for anything after it's scraped out of the chimney? Can it be burned?

Dennis,

That is F A N Tastic!

I aspire to burn wood like you one day.

:) Totally EFFICIENT :)

Congrats and Thanks for sharing all your great information over the years.....Its much appreciated.

Cheers,Hiram

Good report Savage..the lack of any creosote should be an incentive to get a couple years ahead.

Glad to hear the good news... so does this mean you might shoot for 4 or 5 years next time???

I'm pick'in up what yer lay'in down Dennis. I usually sweep every 2 years (inspect yearly) and get about a cup of the powder stuff. Well seasoned wood and proper burn methods is where its at.

A big Thank You to all.

To doug: No concerns over the cat here.

To rsgBJJfighter: It is claimed that creosote is great to use on potted plants or flowers. We dump it in our vegetable gardens along with soot and ashes.

To Hiram: Keep at it Hiram, you'll do fine.

To Wet1: We only aim for good burns and the rest takes care of itself.

To Jags: I couldn't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.