Finally, I'm done with this years wood!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cmonSTART

Minister of Fire
All split and stacked. I still have a 3 or so cord pile down below which needs to be done for next year, but I'll get to that in the fall when the weather is a bit cooler.

Well, it's much later in the year than I would have preferred. I had a lot of.... issues.. getting wood this year. At least I'm done. I'll get a picture up later tonight, after I clean up the yard mess and get it mowed.

Did I mention... I'M DONE!!!!!!!!!!??

Nice you know that you are done with this years supply, and to not have that pressure. Now you can do the rest when you want.

Good job. Jeff

yup, I finished my last Sunday. 4 cord for this yearh, although I had 1.5 leftover from last years supply. My moisture meter is reading 19% on last years stuff and 37% on this years. Hope that 37% gets down to at least 25% by October!

Adirondackwoodburner said:
yup, I finished my last Sunday. 4 cord for this yearh, although I had 1.5 leftover from last years supply. My moisture meter is reading 19% on last years stuff and 37% on this years. Hope that 37% gets down to at least 25% by October!

where can i find a moisture reader for a reasonable price?

cmonSTART said:
AAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.. Sigh of relief!

Wood is stacked.
Yard is cleaned up.
Bonfire wood piled up.
Splitter is put away.

Feels good! Motorcycle ride tomorrow!!

So does that mean you will start next years wood- next week? :lol: :lol:
Cmon - it NEVER ends.

Edit: 1000 POSTS - - whooo hooo!

iceman said:
Adirondackwoodburner said:

where can i find a moisture reader for a reasonable price?

Baileys has a nice looking one, little more expensive at about $80.00, I've been thinking about ordering one.

cmonSTART said:
I'll do next years in the fall, when it's cooler outside!

No you won`t, first rain and cool wind, you will find yourself at it again. I give you 4 weeks at most. :cheese:

Yep, just stacked another load, that makes 5 cord. Now to finish cleaning up the area, at least 1 more cord for 6 total. Granted I am a hardwood snob and most is elm, maple, even gasp some box elder... hey it was slim pickins this year till I hit the oak ralley. Then I need to start on next years. So really, are we ever really finished?

I'm making progress, but still playing catch up. I'm harvesting standing deadwood which I think will burn OK this fall without extensive seasoning. Have it all split and stacked. I also have most of my Red Oak split now, and a majority of that stacked. It was also standing deadwood, pretty much. A big old tree that died off slowly. Burned real hot last winter, so I should be OK with that.

I just scored at least a half cord of cherry, but that was just cut down and is no good for this year. I have over half of it split already, will finish up in the next day or three.

I'll keep working at if through the summer, as time permits. Maybe I will hit a point where I can say I'm done eventually. Also starting to think seriously about building a woodshed- that may happen this summer. Meanwhile, I have a 'deck' of 5 pallets up on PT 4x4's which I think can handle 2.5-3 cords.

So how much wood do I have? I have not gotten around to measuring my stacks and piles and doing the arithmetic, but I figure at least a cord and probably closer to 2 cords. It's a start. (Where's that tape measure?) With a little more deadwood, I'll start feeling like I'm ready for my first full winter of wood heating in our ~1500sf house.

cmonSTART said:
You may be surprised by that cherry. I have some that was just cut and bucked this spring. 2 weeks after it was down it was ready to burn. Very dry stuff!

I'll second that. I split quite a bit of cherry about a month ago and a lot of it seemed to be bone dry in a few weeks. I'd put it on par with ash as far as how quickly it seasons and is ready to burn.

We have a cherry type that grows on the edge of fields, we call it choke cherry and that seems to dry in 2 months easy in the sun.

You're only half way to having a pile of ash in the Spring.
Still plenty of work to do.

You're more than welcome to come work on mine.
Some of mine is still a vertical osmotic membrane.

Thanks for the words of encouragement on the Cherry. I'll get that pile stacked 'soon'. Based on what you guys are saying, I'll cautiously try a few splits this Fall and see how dry it is. Oh, I'll buy a cheap moisture meter soon, but I have a real good ear and can hear wood that is steaming. You can often see the steam, as well. Poorly seasoned wood 'talks' a lot more than well seasoned.

I had a good experience this week with a borrowed 20 ton splitter. The Cherry split pretty easy. I've created several small piles of different types of wood including some Oak. Very tiring work but I got it all done. Probably am now over 2 cords split. Still a lot of stacking to do, I'm thinking seriously about building a woodshed this summer.

Yeah- I gotta get my carcass in gear. I've got my nephey over for a couple weeks so progress is halted for that long, anyways.........

im all set also. i have 8 cord under the shed, my brother has his all set and so does my son. This fall we will start splitting the 20 we have for next year

Well I just got out of my arm cast last week and can now wear a glove under my Velcro soft cast...so yesterday I resumed work on of '09-'10 woodpile. Actually I think I have enough now but I've had these log lengths down for about 3 years so it's a pretty easy take to drag 'em up to the staging area and C&S;'em ...and its part of my wrist recovery therapy. Usually I'm way done by this this prime time for boating and golf but since I'm on Convo leave I'll make good use of the time...

...thank God for the invention of the compression release valve.

Well, 3 cord of wood fell over today. Guess I have more stacking again :mad:

burntime said:
Well, 3 cord of wood fell over today. Guess I have more stacking again :mad:

How are you stacking that stuff?

5.5 ft high on pallets on level ground facing the wind. I think I have critters running the piles, they will soon be 4ft high...the wood pile, not the critters ;-P

Cluttermagnet said:
I'm making progress, but still playing catch up. I'm harvesting standing deadwood which I think will burn OK this fall without extensive seasoning. Have it all split and stacked. I also have most of my Red Oak split now, and a majority of that stacked. It was also standing deadwood, pretty much. A big old tree that died off slowly. Burned real hot last winter, so I should be OK with that.

I just scored at least a half cord of cherry, but that was just cut down and is no good for this year. I have over half of it split already, will finish up in the next day or three.

I'll keep working at if through the summer, as time permits. Maybe I will hit a point where I can say I'm done eventually. Also starting to think seriously about building a woodshed- that may happen this summer. Meanwhile, I have a 'deck' of 5 pallets up on PT 4x4's which I think can handle 2.5-3 cords.

So how much wood do I have? I have not gotten around to measuring my stacks and piles and doing the arithmetic, but I figure at least a cord and probably closer to 2 cords. It's a start. (Where's that tape measure?) With a little more deadwood, I'll start feeling like I'm ready for my first full winter of wood heating in our ~1500sf house.
After measuring every wood stack I have built (9 presently), I come up with a grand total of 2.390 cords stacked, as of today. Plenty of splits still laying around in various small piles, still needing to be stacked.

I found out I have 305.93 ft^3 stacked, works out to an astronomical 528,649 in^3, more or less. Well, I measured everything in inches.

Oh yes, I have probably about 59.33 ft^3 of cherry, or about 0.463 cord of it. So my estimating skills are at least in the ballpark. "...At least half a cord..." was my call based on a pile of it. Not bad, I guess.

Next year there will be less woodpiles, more woodshed, at least that is the plan.

I keep telling my girlfriend I have 'wood fever' and need to put in a few more hours processing wood. This has been going on for about 2 months part time, now. She approves, actually. Complains about the heat in the summer, and especially about the cold in winter. Last winter, the new stove was very popular with her.

Status
Not open for further replies.