1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Finally milled some logs.........

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by ScotO, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Scott, let me know when you plan on heading that way as I'd love to meet you. The fort is a good stop and there are many, many others. One should also plan on a day to Mackinaw Island. Only have to watch your step while there as the transportation is a bit old school. Of course, if you get short on cash you could hire out for a day with a shovel and wheelbarrow.
    zap and ScotO like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    Great pics Scotty. Love Love LOVE that vintage machinery. >>

4 weeks ago I took Friday off & spent most of the day here -

http://www.centralhawkeye.org/powershow.php Turns out Mom & Dad knew for probably 10 yrs the owner of the steam sawmill but didnt know about the mill until recently.He gave me a behind the scenes tour before the crowd showed up.I took 70 some pics before & during operation.$5 admission,plus they have a cookshack w/ sandwiches,chili,soft drinks & snacks.Great way to spend a warm summer day (Sure beats working ;))

Central Hawkeye Gas Engine & Tractor Assoc. has a big exhibit at State Fair every year,right outside the Pioneer Hall,built in 1884.Always nice to check out the old machines & tractors in running condition.
    ScotO likes this.
  3. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    WOW. I wasnt too far from there when traveling through the Black Forest in Sep. '97.Sure would've stopped if I knew about that.
    ScotO likes this.
  4. ScotO

ScotO Guest

ABSOLUTELY, Dennis. I would like to meet you too! Hoping to plan a trip out that way next summer, I will certainly let you know when. I'll buy dinner for you and the Mrs. too.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

That stuff is right up my alley, Thistle! I would have loved that show, they have a similar show here in central PA this past week (Ag Progress Days in Centre county, PA), and there's the Centre County Grange Fair next week http://www.grangefair.net/ ....both have tons of vintage AND modern equipment, love those events! I'd like to see those pics of that steam mill, Thistle!
  6. NSDave

NSDave Member

Loc:
    Halifax NS Canada
    great pics Scotty, I'd love to mill my own wood someday!
    Thistle and ScotO like this.
  7. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I am in love with the 'art' of milling now. I wanted a bandmill for some time, now I really want one! It is very satisfying to take logs that you cut down yourself, loaded yourself, hauled them and helped mill them, and now get to use the lumber from them. Makes you appreciate the way the ol' timers had to be self-sufficient, albiet it is easier for us with modern conveniences. Hard to imagine the caliber of man (or woman) you had to be to live back in colonial times. I have the utmost respect for those colonial and early settlers......
    PapaDave, zap and Thistle like this.
  8. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    I have a few 1 & 2 man crosscuts in varying lengths,plus some broad axes of various widths,long large t-handled augers for timber frame boring barn beams + other specialty old tools of the trade etc too in my collection.

I may be 'old school' in a lot of ways,but they're staying in tool cabinets or hanging on the walls,thank you very much :p
    PapaDave and ScotO like this.
  9. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I have a 6' crosscut saw, and two 4' crosscut saws. Found the one 4 footer in the barn I tore down several years back, it's REALLY old. Missin the handles, have to make new ones so I can display it. The other two, believe it or not, were found in the rafters of my basement when we moved in. Not sure where or when my Great Grandpap used them, but they were definately his.......love those old tools!
    Backwoods Savage and Thistle like this.
  10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands Minister of Fire

ScotO likes this.
  11. golfandwoodnut

golfandwoodnut Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pittsburgh PA
    Neat stuff scotty, it is a lot faster than I can do it with my alaskan saw mill. I buy some wood from the Amish who cut with a chevy engine.
    ScotO likes this.
  12. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    I bet Chris and his pap were proud as can be to get that thing doing some work after 10 years
    way to go
    ScotO likes this.
  13. osagebow

osagebow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    cool pics - looks like fun! What did you have to do to get it running?
  14. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Amazingly, very little. Chris had to rebuild the loading end of the carriage rail, he did that a couple weeks ago. We lubed all the bearings, slides etc. Replaced the rubber fuel lines, they kept breaking from age. And we sharpened the teeth of the blade......
  15. osagebow

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    They don't make 'em like they used to!
    ScotO likes this.
  16. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    [​IMG]
    Backwoods Savage, PapaDave and ScotO like this.
  17. osagebow

Loc:
    Shenandoah Valley, VA
    I saw some guys pit-sawing om TV last week. Really cool stuff. (Maybe these guys?) - they were working for a historical site and wanted to replace some of the more prominent wood that was mechanically done. They showed how you can tell what methods were used by saw marks, and even the skill and style of the sawyer.
    ScotO likes this.
  18. Thistle

Thistle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central IA
    No inserted teeth? Disston patented those back in the early 1900's I believe.I have a small wooden box w/original Disston label & sliding lid that originally held new replacement teeth.Now I use it for small easily lost things like nailsets,tiny calipers,wire/sheetmetal gauges & various small screwdriver/auger bits/countersinks. The steam sawmill I seen last month had inserted teeth blades also.They can be filed & set (swaged) on the blade,if too worn down or damaged are replaced. Just fascinating how these mechanical geniuses thought up so much stuff back when that we take for granted today....>>
    ScotO likes this.
  19. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I've read the apprentice is usually the one in the hole getting sawdust in his eyes.

Eric Sloane books have lots of good info like this.
    ScotO and Backwoods Savage like this.
  20. infinitymike

infinitymike Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Long Island, NY
    Those old mills are amazing. There is one a few miles from my house, its been around since the turn of the century. It operates 6 days week.
    These guys are one of the guys I know who give me free log length. In fact they are the guys I bought my Timberwolf splitter from.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Backwoods Savage, ScotO and zap like this.
  21. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yes, it has inserted teeth. They just needed hit with a file to sharpen them a little. he has the original tool to remove and install the teeth, as well as a small tool that clamped on the blade and sharpens each tooth (I think it's kinda like the Timberline sharpener!), but it's missing the handle. We'll have to make a new handle to be able to use it.
  22. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Going to unload the lumber and get it stacked and stickered today. Gotta make room for it first!

Attached Files:

Backwoods Savage and DexterDay like this.
  23. TimJ

TimJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southeast Indiana
    That's alot of wood for a few craft projects Scotty. You might have to build her a shed from this stuff so she has a place to work on them
    ScotO, PapaDave and DexterDay like this.
  24. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    When I used to work at Old Sturbridge Village I always stopped at the wood shop for awhile, those guys were always making hand hewn beams and other boards for building. Talk about hard work and taking a while to make the lumber for a house, its no wonder most homes were built small back in those days.
    ScotO likes this.
  25. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    weatherguy, did you ever see Norm when you worked there.:cool:
    He made several excursions there for his show.
    Wish I could make some of those projects in half an hour like he does/did.;)
    ScotO likes this.