Hogz adventures with his old but new to him North Star Log Splitter......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hogwildz

Minister of Fire
Ok, well I am putting the Ryobi on the bench as back up. After 6 trouble free seasons with her, and the thing performs flawlessly, I have purchased my neighbors North Star for $400.00
I don't know the age of it, but he said he bought it new for $1,600.00 years ago. I borrowed it occasionally when I had cuts out in the field to split, and rather than lug them back to the house to split with the electric Ryobi, I just borrowed and towed his into the field and split on site.
So I get it to the house, start it up, runs for a few and dies. Worse under more throttle. At idle it would idle forever, but the more I gave it more throttle, the worse it ran, and would die after a minute or so, but start right back up on first pull. I was perplexed as after its last use, which I used it last, I added stabilizer, topped it off, shut the fuel lever off and ran her dry. It did run like crap when I fist started it last year, but felt the carb was gunked up some, and after running it a few minutes, it seemed to clear out. I told him the carb would prolly need to be cleaned this year, but then I bought it.
So I pulled the carb off when i got it home, took it apart, cleaned it up, put her back on, same thing. This carb has more channels and ports that are just not accessible, and I was going to soak it, but found a new aftermarket on Ebay for $20.00. So I purchased the new carb.

Carb came in, I installed, started it up, and same thing. Now I am really perplexed.....and being me, getting a bit frustrated and pissed off.
I drain the tank, pull it off, look inside, the filter looks ok, so I put back on and fill with new fuel, start it up, same thing......

Getting a bit more frustrated and even more pissed off at this point. Thinking, great I just paid $400.00 for a big paperweight.
I get on the net and start researching....
Check oil sensor as they fail and you can just unplug the lead to it and that should cure that.....Done, same thing..... Pissier
Pull and inspect & clean spark plug and check gap.....done..... same thing.... Getting more pissier....
Start reading how the exhaust lobe on the came can round off and cause these symptons....look around, new OEM is like $135.00... pissier still...
Find aftermarkets in then $35.00 range..... a little less pissier, but not wanting to tear the engine down.
Find a new engine on Ebay in the $345.00 range....hmmmm thinking about it... don;t have the cash...pissier again.......
Find a Kholer replacement new on Ebay fopr $250.00....still don't have the cash.
Saw a couple guys say they replaced the spark plugs and ran fine. Hmmm, skeptical as had the same hopes when I disconnected the oil safety switch. And didn't want to get my hopes up that it could just be a $3.75 spark plug. Given my luck in the past, it could just not be that simple.
But, I ran to town today, bought a new correct spark plug, and installed it. I say correct cause the one I took out was a BPR7ES, and it calls for a BPR6ES. Although it ran fine all the other times I used it.
Gapped and put the plug in, prepare for....same thing.... and started at idle, ran good...gave slight increments of more throttle, still ran fine, full throttle....running fine, put a nice round of white oak on her, pulled the lever, split with no hesitation. Still not believing, I split a few more rounds...pouring rain at this point, but I am happy as it is running well and doing her job!
So the moral of the story, prepare for the worst, but start with the easy typical stuff, saves time, money and less pissiness! LMAO
Pissiness gone, and happy again ;-)
Now I got a hell of a deal, and am happy.
Hogz

P.S. Most plugs come gaped already, but always check to save yourself from unnecessary grief.

Isn't that always the case!

In the end, glad to hear you have it straightened out and glad to hear you got a hell of a deal on what sounds like a good splitter.

pen

I once installed a rebuilt starter in an old Cadillac I had...when (as it turned out) all I needed to do was clean the battery terminals. I won't bore you with all my similar stories. Start from the simplest possible cause...this was a lesson that took me a long time to learn. :) Rick

Glad you figured it out, Hogz. I think "KISS" applies here %-P

Reminded me of training a horse, and finding the horses sweet spot as far as training goes :)

That sounds like everything I touch. I always try to over think everything. Glad to hear you got it working.

:lol: Baahaha...I have pictures in my head of a pizzed off to a furry Hogz reaching behind him for a big friggen hammer and whaling the crap out of that poor little engine. :lol:

Tore apart a Kioti tractor last week with my neighbor to get to the differential lock. Both rear wheels were full time locked (or so we thought). Got everything apart and wheels turned out to NOT be locked. Reassembly starts tomorrow. :shut: Glad it worked out for you Hogz! Cheers!

Archer39 said:
That sounds like everything I touch. I always try to over think everything. Glad to hear you got it working.

Well well well, look who surfaced! Where the F you been?!
Hows that stove working for you? Get her figured out? Roof holding up ok?
Good to see ya bro!

Jags said:
:lol: Baahaha...I have pictures in my head of a pizzed off to a furry Hogz reaching behind him for a big friggen hammer and whaling the crap out of that poor little engine. :lol:

LMFAO! I was so pissed off, I had a crapload of tools out there unbolting everything in sight, pulling this off, that off, just waiting to drop a nut in the grass and lose it. I was a bit hot under the collar for sure. Good thing I don't know where the sledge is. All over a friggin spark plug LMAO. Didn't even need the new carb. But now I know it is new, and have a back up.

<-------------------Think this picture with those devil horns and add steam coming out of my ears and nose. That was me LOL.

Interesting story to say the least! Now you have a good splitter at a great price and the carb will not need to rebuilt for a long time.

It did sound like weak spark. I was going to suggest a weak coil. That isn't uncommon. You did the right thing... always check the basics first. I have an older Sears lawn tractor I picked up at auction a month or so ago. It would not idle for crap. I did the same... totally went over the carb. Put the correct plug in it... no help. I knew the carbs on this particular model had a bad history so I bought a new updated carb for $130. That fixed it. So for $150 for the tractor and $130 for the carb I have a sweet good old lawn tractor built like they used to build them... heavy and strong.

Sorry if I look like I hijacked.

0009.jpg

At least your problem wasn't an empty fuel tank. That will make your blood boil after you figure out what the "problem" was. Don't ask me how I know. Grrr.

lukem said:
At least your problem wasn't an empty fuel tank. That will make your blood boil after you figure out what the "problem" was. Don't ask me how I know. Grrr.

+1.

I think we have all done stuff like that. At least it keeps the parts guys in business. the worst thing is that when you really do need that new carb, you will probably forget where the extra is and buy another anyway. Good luck with your new splitter. Sounds like you git a good deal with it.

Flatbedford said:
...the worst thing is that when you really do need that new carb, you will probably forget where the extra is and buy another anyway...

:lol: Yup, I once heard that the easiest way to find something that you've misplaced is to go out and buy a replacement and bring it home. Rick

Great Story, glad it worked out for you Hogz. And nice splitter!

You want to sell your Ryobi?

I'm wondering if I could get by with an electric for all the rounds I can't hand split and pile back by my shed. Seems an electric splitter could take care of those for me?

basswidow said:
Great Story, glad it worked out for you Hogz. And nice splitter!

You want to sell your Ryobi?

I'm wondering if I could get by with an electric for all the rounds I can't hand split and pile back by my shed. Seems an electric splitter could take care of those for me?
I'm a fkin packrat, and not looking to get rid of the Ryobi just yet. Get yourself the electric. The Ryobi had 3' rounds on it, yes 3' no typo. Just chip away around the edges and it will be fine.
The newer electrics are 5 or 6 tons. The Ryobi is 4 I think. They prolly all work the same in this class though.

Hogwildz said:
Archer39 said:

Good to see ya bro!

Haha, I been around just reading not posting much. Working too much. Stoves working great, a little to great it is about 85 degrees down staires every day. Roofs holding up great around the chimney. Around some of the edges roof the rubber is starting to crappy. How have things been for you?

Archer39 said:
Hogwildz said:
Archer39 said:

Good to see ya bro!

Haha, I been around just reading not posting much. Working too much. Stoves working great, a little to great it is about 85 degrees down staires every day. Roofs holding up great around the chimney. Around some of the edges roof the rubber is starting to crappy. How have things been for you?

Doing well. Waiting for my soon to be Mrs. to come home in the Summer, doing my good deeds here and there. Feeding the Summit for season 6 now already.
I remember when you had a hard time getting heat out of that thing, and then moving it around. Sounds like you got it down now.
Actually tonight that heat will be nice.
The edges of the roof are most likely flashed with Neoprene if they flashed them at all. Just DONT use roof cement or any asphalt based sealant or coatings!!! That stuff eats rubber!
When your ready to reflash or fix those crappy spots, let me know.
Did you ever finish the chase? Got yourself some dry wood this year? LOL
Good to see ya man. Don't be a fkin stranger!

Hogwildz said:
Archer39 said:
Hogwildz said:
Archer39 said:

Good to see ya bro!

Doing well. Waiting for my soon to be Mrs. to come home in the Summer, doing my good deeds here and there. Feeding the Summit for season 6 now already.
I remember when you had a hard time getting heat out of that thing, and then moving it around. Sounds like you got it down now.
Actually tonight that heat will be nice.
The edges of the roof are most likely flashed with Neoprene if they flashed them at all. Just DONT use roof cement or any asphalt based sealant or coatings!!! That stuff eats rubber!
When your ready to reflash or fix those crappy spots, let me know.
Did you ever finish the chase? Got yourself some dry wood this year? LOL
Good to see ya man. Don't be a fkin stranger!

yep the wood made all the difference (and the new baffle plates that the previous owner cut a hole in). We are planning on moving in about a year so as long as it does not get a lot worse its going to be the next owners problem. Hopefully it stays in somewhat decent shape until then. Nope the chase is not finished just studded out. I am going to be redoing that entire room with drywall in the next couple of weeks in preparation to put the house up for sale.

Wow, flippin that house fairly quick.
Where ya off to?
Are you taking the stove with?

My grandmother is going to sell her house and we are going to buy it. 5 acres of land and a large garage can't wait for
More space. The stove is going to stay, the house has a gas insert. a wood stove will go there and a pellet stove upstairs. It's time to start researching for an insert.

I have a different electric, but similar size and quality to Hogz' Ryobi. I haven't run into a round it couldn't split except for stuff that was obvious, like big knots or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.