Fire Board Baffle???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrism

Feeling the Heat
Oct 8, 2009
Eastern PA
im guessing this is for the Isle Royale owners?? How do you know when to replace the Fire Board Baffle?? Also there is stuff on the inside of the stove. It looks like silicone along the seams of the inside of the stove but its not. the bead is hard as a rock! is this stove cement? and what is a good brand to use if it is ?

Thanks

Chrism said:
im guessing this is for the Isle Royale owners?? How do you know when to replace the Fire Board Baffle?? Also there is stuff on the inside of the stove. It looks like silicone along the seams of the inside of the stove but its not. the bead is hard as a rock! is this stove cement? and what is a good brand to use if it is ?

Thanks

I would replace it if it's cracked all the way through. For a used stove, I wouldn't worry about hairline cracks or rough
edges on the bottom.

I'll leave the stuff on the inside stove to somewhat else. I haven't had a good look at the seams on mine to notice the "stuff."

I would replace it if it's cracked all the way through. For a used stove, I wouldn't worry about hairline cracks or rough
edges on the bottom.

I'll leave the stuff on the inside stove to somewhat else. I haven't had a good look at the seams on mine to notice the "stuff."[/quote]

i didnt quite understand your post? some spots on the the seams chipped off and i want to fix it before i replace the fire bricks and paint the stove. is the stuff stove cement??

Northwind was talking about the baffle, not the seam caulking. We need a quad dealer to speak up here. If the stove has the same seam seal that the newer Jotul's use, it is a very hard refractory cement that I haven't seen on the market. Though maybe it is out there for kilns? You could clean the area, dampen it a little and lay down a bead of Rutland stove cement for a seal there. Cure as directed.

ok great begreen thanks wasnt sure which question he was answering me about.

A quad has been on the top of my list looking for a new stove. But the fiber baffle bothers me... and I think the dealer quoted me somewere near $100 for the baffle and insulation and that might not seem like a big deal to some but buying something knowing youll have to replace parts in just a few years doesnt set well with me. Do the steel baffles not last a whole lot longer? I guess I dont know why they use this fiber baffle? it sure doesnt seem that much cheaper.

OhioBurner© said:
A quad has been on the top of my list looking for a new stove. But the fiber baffle bothers me... and I think the dealer quoted me somewere near $100 for the baffle and insulation and that might not seem like a big deal to some but buying something knowing youll have to replace parts in just a few years doesnt set well with me. Do the steel baffles not last a whole lot longer? I guess I dont know why they use this fiber baffle? it sure doesnt seem that much cheaper.

yeah thats what im talking about was wondering what to look for to let me know it needs a replacement??

was wondering if it needs replacing???

Attachments

• 20110306_14.jpg
    20110306_14.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 20110306_13.jpg
    20110306_13.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 354
there are a couple of spots like this. this stuff is hard as a rock is this stove cement??

Attachments

• 20110306_12.jpg
    20110306_12.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 365
Chrism said:
was wondering if it needs replacing???

Looks pretty solid, so I would guess eventually, but not now.

Chrism said:
there are a couple of spots like this. this stuff is hard as a rock is this stove cement??

Not that big a deal. Fill it with stove cement, cure it, and be done.

OhioBurner© said:

To Chrism: Sorry about the confusion. My answer was a response to your first question: "How do you know when to replace the Fire Board Baffle." I've had to replace mine twice, due to cracks all the way through. Both were covered by Quad under the old all-inclusive
warranty. The baffle in Chrism's stove looks rough, but intact. I wouldn't replace until it cracks through or chunks off.

The fiber baffle is the only part of the stove that I've been dissatisfied with. It is fragile. With the Isle Royale, the baffle is
even more problematic because it's a two part baffle. I believe that mine was installed too tightly together, causing additional
pressure which cracked both pieces.

I think they use the fiber baffle because it can be replaced, although not inexpensively. I'm guessing that replacement of
a steel baffle is a bigger deal and an even bigger expense, although someone can correct me if that's not the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.