Fire Bricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

combs0417

What is the purpose of the firebricks in my Century wood burning stove. There are bricks on the top, sides and bottom of the stove. I understand the purpose of the ones on the bottom, but do I really need the ones on the sides? What about the top?

Improves burn efficiency by concentrating more heat inside the firebox so the wood burns much hotter, increasing the likelihood of secondary combustion (burning off the smoke).

They discourage the flow of heat out of the firebox by insulating the sides and top. They form a part of the stove system as tested and certified, thus they are a factor in the minimum clearances to combustible materials of the appliance. They are an important element contributing to the stove's performance and safety. Take care of them. Rick

ETA: Dunno which CFM stove you're running, but in my little CFM, 2 of the top bricks actually close off the direct route to the flue, and so are essential to forcing the products of combustion through the secondary circuit before exiting the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.