Fire, injuries, pottery

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ready to rock
image.jpg

So if you stick a splitting maul in the end of a springy piece of oak, it may squeeze the maul out at your head as you bend to free it. Clean yourself up... It couldn't happen twice on the same log, could it? The clerk at CVS was freaking a little bit when I went to get butterfly sutures after the second round. I lost by TKO
image.jpg

Hovering here for maybe 8-10 hours
image.jpg

Fire out the chimney and blowhole (tdc on the kiln)
image.jpg

Glad to see you OK , DUDE how long does it take to get a fire that blows out the top.........Very Cool

Dang! Talk about getting mauled.

Scars'll go just right with the tats. Keep it up, you won't need any clothes at all. :cool:

(Hope the rest of this firing goes without incident)

Reactions: Adios Pantalones
When you said you were gonna get hammered during the burn I thought you were talking about a nice IPA.

Ouch! Looks like those mishaps are going to leave marks to remind you. That fire looks very threatening to me.

Anybody seen Adios' cranky neighbor around lately?

Reactions: Ashful
I will upload the video I took of the firebox when I have better service. I had just thrown in some pine- I dunno, it was a little pitchy dawg, and the reduction gases caused the firebox to puff like a locomotive for a bit. I have heard fire in there that made me take pause.

Got a coal in my mustache tonight- not only did it burn my lip, but now I have that burnt hair smell in my nostrils

Didn't realize firing pottery was a contact sport, AP.!!!
I've heard that women dig scars.
Well, it's not like I could really look worse. The wife was traveling, and I had to make sure I cleaned up all the blood before she got home today

A man at one with his craft.

Scrolling down through the pics the wife thought you had one helluva chimney fire at your house until she saw the whole kiln.

Bones heal, chicks dig scars, pains temporary, and glory is forever.

Try to imagine yourself an object of greenware. !!!
scatered some "ashes" last week. got to see what all that heat can do to a person.

My neighbor is a potter, she has a firebrick kiln but it's propane, sounds like a dang hot air ballon when she has it crankin. I just showed her pictures of your kiln with fire shooting out the top and her exact words were "that's friggin cool" She admired your work too, nice stuff! Like I said before, if I was closer I'd raid your kiln, with love of course ;) I get such a kick out of people throwing clay but don't have the patience for it. Blowing glass seems easier to me, just have to remember not to inhale (you only ever do that ONCE)

Be careful will ya? We need you around here :)

Adios, nice looking set-up for the kiln and I'm jealous of the talent.:) Are you throwing full-time or just a sideline? Wish I was closer so I could take a first hand look...

My hubby would tell you it's only a "flesh wound" - good to go:cool:

Nice and Nice.

AP is headed for shucking the day job and doing clay things full time any day now.

Read the article on your site ... while it's likely better for your mental health, it's sad when someone with a PhD only works part-time in their field. I have four kids in University (luckily we did savings plans) but I wonder what their work careers will be like:confused:

From Skulz (yours) to flowers. Looks like you have all the bases covered.;lol
Wish I was closer so I could take a first hand look...
I have seen his work first hand. I will tell you...as cool as the pics are...it doesn't do justice to the work. Outfreakingstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.