Fire location in burn pot, Harmon

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHpelletstove

Nov 12, 2016
Rochester
On my older p61 Harmon pellet stove, the fire always seems to be behind the holes in the front edge of the burn pot.

Is this normal?

I've tried several different operating techniques, but while trying to maintain non-sweltering room temps, and maintain a med/small flame, I haven't been successful. Also this is my first time operating a pellet stove and I'm not sure what a good flame looks like.

Here is a pic (w/ door open for better clarity) of where the Fire usually lays.
6bf6541cc6e6785a26f3b7d7da35352f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks normal.

Totally normal

Looks good to me.

Yes, you are fine. The fire usually hangs to the rear of the pot. The lazier flame in your pic is because your door is open and that would be normal too.

Yes, you are fine. The fire usually hangs to the rear of the pot. The lazier flame in your pic is because your door is open and that would be normal too.

Thanks. I wanted to point out that the door was open so that people understood why the flame looked weak.

Now to just figure out the best settings to keep my whole (weirdly shaped) house comfortable this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: bogieb
With that you'll have to experiment. Fans will be your friend. Ceiling fans if you have them or box fans etc; It is all about circulating and moving air. That said, you will experience some different temps in farther harder to reach areas of your place. For example: My farthest back rear bedrooms will usually be 6-8 degrees cooler than the rest of my two story home.

I have a fairly open plan with lots of windows and glass doors. These cooler bedroom are back a hallway and furthest from my stove location. Say if the living room where the stove is is 76* these bedrooms will be at 68-70*. My wife hates the cold and likes to keep it "warm." I run around in shorts and flip flops here all winter and it does get quite cold in KY. I've seen where we are having colder snaps than peeps up north. That's just wrong!

Reactions: bogieb
Reactions: bags
Now to just figure out the best settings to keep my whole (weirdly shaped) house comfortable this winter.
In order to do that you need winter weather first, you can't tell anything yet unless you have been a lot colder up that way than we have down here ( I'm sure you have had some colder nights by now though). In your other thread on settings, you mentioned a feed rate of 2, you might get away with that now but it's doubtful that will work in a NH cold snap, for instance. In " weird" shaped houses sometimes one stove can't do it, simply because of layout, other times they do fine. But no matter what, you can plan on outer rooms being cooler than central rooms. I can also tell say that if you want to heat outer rooms then turn the distribution blower up on high, I know that makes quite a difference in this house in the colder weather, it doesn't matter much right now though.. Yes you will use a few more pellets because you will be shedding more heat off of the stove that the ESP doesn't get to be satisfied with..

Anyone who plays with a Harman enough ends up coming to the same conclusion as the rest of us, pretty much we all use a feed rate between 3.5 and 4.5.

Status
Not open for further replies.