Firebox insulation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadstar

Mar 11, 2011
Puyallup, WA
I'm in the need for some type of blanket insulation to attach to the outside of the firebox on my pellet stove. The current stuff looks like a sheet of cotton and was held on by several disks and snap rivets. Once it comes off it won't go back on, it tore away from the disks I suppose I could use some heat tape to hold it in place and if I can't find a decent replacement I may have to.

Is ceramic wool a similar product and how does one attach it to the sides?

A commercial/industrial insulation supplier in your area will have what you need. What is usually used is a fiberglass board type product with a foil skrim kraft type of facing. They would also have ceramic wool blanket that would also work but is much more money and sold by the roll. If you have troubles locating a supplier try finding an Owens Corning Fiberglass Contracting Division office near you. Call them and ask where to buy fiberglass insulation board.
Ron

Ceramic wool insulation looks a bit like a dense sheet of cotton, usually with a foil facing (but not always.) Any stove shop that sells stainless steel liners will be able to get you 24" to 36" wide wrap in 1/4" or 1/2" thickness that is whatever length you want. It can be difficult to find in wider sections. Some shops carry up to 1" thick, but usually without foil facing.

Status
Not open for further replies.