Firelight Operation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ssadams

Oct 13, 2014
Wisconsin
I just installed a used Jotul Firelight I purchased on CL. I am looking for information on how to operate the air intake & bypass damper together. What is the purpose of the bypass damper? Can anyone elaborate on the basic function of the two, mainly the bypass damper and when why it is used. Thank you.

The bypass damper is used to keep smoke from coming out the door when starting a fire in a cold stove and for the same thing when you are going to open the door to reload.

Welcome to the Forum and here is the manual for the F600. Hell of a wood stove you got there.

http://jotul.com/us/products/stoves/_attachment/7456

Is this an F600 or an F12 Firelight with the foot pedal? If it has the foot pedal, open the bypass before using the foot pedal for loading. I think this is automatic via the foot pedal linkage. The bypass damper on the F12 Firelight is also to allow the stove to warm up before engaging the catalyst.

OK... I think I got it.
In addition to re-burning the bypass damper consequently slows the fire down increasing the burn time?

When is a good rule of thumb to close the bypass damper?

Thank you,
Scott

Close the damper to engage the cat. There is a hex type tool, same as used on the door you turn clockwise on the upper right of the unit. I just use a magnetic temp gauge on the stack pipe. When the temp hits 600, I close the damper and adjust the air flow to about half. Some folks use temp probes for better accuracy but I have been using the cheap temp gauge for almost 20 years and feel comfortable with it.

Should add, just installed a 6" flex line and draft is much improved.

The bypass can be operated manually, or at the same time as the top door with the foot pedal. Until the stove is about 400 degrees on top the bypass should be left open. This allows the catalyst to get hot enough to burn the smoke.

Foot pedal only opens damper, you have to manually close with the tool. 400 degrees sounds about right for top of the stove temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.