Fireplace connected to furnace distribution duct work

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

markk

Jan 11, 2020
Central Missouri
Good morning,
I am a long time lurker but this is my first post. I have a 2400 sq/ft (1200 main floor, 1200 walk out finished basement that will be our full time home when I retire. We have a wood burning fireplace on one end of the main floor in the living room with the central heating/AC directly below in the basement. The discharge air from the furnace/AC is ducted through connections on the fireplace then to the distribution duct work for the house. Although this is a older fireplace it actually will heat the entire house down to the coldest temps I have seen although it takes a lot of attention with rather short burn times. Whoever installed this fireplace originally did not install any type of bypass ducting and dampers so summer, winter, fire, no fire all of the furnace/ AC air flows through the fireplace. I am in the planning stages of replacing this setup and have thought about a wood burning furnace installed downstairs and twinned to the furnace/AC but I really like the look of a wood burning fireplace upstairs where we spend most of our time. My question is does anyone know if there is a fireplace currently sold with this type of set up? I have seen several that have fans but would prefer one that would connect like the one we have. If I can find one I would reconfigure the duct work with a bypass for times when there isn't a fire.
Sorry for the long first post, hope it is clear what I am asking.
Thanks,
Mark

Napoleon used to make fireplaces that could be ducted into the house...not sure if they still do or not...NZ3000 maybe?

There are several modern ZC fireplaces that have the option for ducting the heat output, but not all permit the tie-in with the central hvac. It's best to check on that.

Is there a basement door for bringing in loads of wood easily if there was a wood-furnace?

Napoleon used to make fireplaces that could be ducted into the house...not sure if they still do or not...NZ3000 maybe?
brenndatomu,
Thanks for the info, I read the installation manual for NZ3000 and it does have duct connections and also has a Central Heating System option that has a blower. I will have to research if I could use the duct connections on the fireplace without the blower option and use my furnace blower without delivering more airflow than the fireplace was designed to handle. I also found a company this afternoon that shows an option: https://www.acucraft.com/remote-ducting/ so I sent a request for more information.

There are several modern ZC fireplaces that have the option for ducting the heat output, but not all permit the tie-in with the central hvac. It's best to check on that.

Is there a basement door for bringing in loads of wood easily if there was a wood-furnace?
Yes the basement has a sliding glass door less than 10 feet from where I would install a wood burning furnace to be twinned to my existing system. I had also considered installing the wood burning furnace in the garage since the existing furnace/AC is installed on the same side of the house, although I would question how that would be viewed by the homeowners insurance company.

...you are correct to review this with both the insurer as well as the building codes for your area. I've had a few friends get surprised when they were selling their homes and the home inspection found their handiwork...and demanded that they remove all of it.

A wood furnace will need a separate, dedicated flue, but that may be a less costly option to replacing the fireplace.