Fireplace finishing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

anonymous1977

Mar 3, 2021
NJ
Fireplace installed. The company can only do the front and does not have anyone that can do the top as a triangle. Can you recommend what I can do for the top? One suggestion is to have a granite company do the top. Are there other better and cheaper suggestions? Say like wood?

Also should I opt for sheet rock or cement board to close it up?

IMG_20210819_151708.jpg IMG_20210819_154418.jpg

That's an ideal install for a corner mantel, but it might be too late.
Normally, that would have been taken into consideration at install,
so the mantel would be guaranteed to fit.
Those corner mantels have a finished top shelf.
If you are putting stone, faux stone of tile on the face, you'll need the
concrete board to hold the weight.
Sheetrock it if you're just gonna paint.
A nice piece of birch cabinet-grade plywood will look good on top..

Thanks. So go with cement board?

Can you share some idea on birch cabinet grade plywood? Who do I need to ask for that?

Is very strange that the company can’t do this. If they can do wood trim for the front, they can certainly do a wood triangle for the top. In fact, they already did, with the roughed in plywood that’s already up there. To make that piece, I would clamp a guideboard onto the plywood at the 45 degree angle, set back the distance to your skilsaw’s teeth, and just follow the guideboard through. A fine tooth blade would make it nearly as good as a table saw cut. In any case, the edge would be covered by trim, which would hide any imperfections.

You should talk to your contractor and make sure they understand what you want. They might have thought that you would only consider stone, which they may not work with. If they know that you’re ok with finish wood, they can most likely do it.

cheaper suggestions
Have any of the flooring leftover? Live edge slab? Sand and Paint the plywood and add a corner shelf? Take a walk around a big box home store and get some ideas. Could always lay tiles.

just some thoughts

evan

If its okay and safe to do but could not this person get a slab of stone and have it cut for the space by the stone people and just set it in place--that would make a beautiful top and they have such beautiful pieces of stone to look through as well..For the walls could not brick be put there and blended in with the top---Heck if it is safe that's what I would try to do...On my stove I have the cement board up on the walls and cannot decide what to put on it and it is so very expensive to do as well so I wait until I decide..clancey