fireplace insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sirgeoff

Apr 20, 2007
I have a fireplace insert that burns wood fairly quick. I would like to slow the burn down if possible and I am contemplating installing a damper on the top of the chimney pipe. What are my options for doing this and is this a solution to a fast burning insert? Thanks in advance.

What insert is it? Or if you don't know then try to post some pics of it.

I'm not sure. It came with the home and has split doors. Is there any danger in installing a damper? I was thinking the only way to do it is through a remote controlled electronic type. It doesnt seem feasible with a manual type that includes a cable that would be drawn down the chimney pipe into the fireplace insert. If you went with a manual / cable damper, how would you be able to control the damper?

Not really any danger I can think of, but not common with inserts as you said there is no good way to do it. I was probing to try and figure out the real problem instead of putting a band-aid on it.

Does the insert have glass in the door or just solid? Does it have to big air control knobs on the doors?

I suspect it is an old pre-EPA insert and is probably a wood gobbler. There wont be much you can do to help it if that's the case.

It has two glass doors with wooden handles. Each door has sliding wooden square knobs that when you slide towards the center or out from the center it affects the draft.

Approx age? Or some pictures? Or does it have anything stamped on the doors inside or out?

I suspect it is 15-20 y old. No stamping. You don't think a damper on the roof top would help reduce the wood consumption? I found a remote controlled damper on line. I'm not sure if this is the solution to this problem.

how air tight is it? i would start by changing the gaskets

The stove doesn't have a damper controlled by a handle above the doors? So far it sounds like it might be a Buckstove, like mine. At least from your description. Mine has a metal handle that pulls out to damper. It also has the two doors, and rectangular slides for draft control.

Below the doors there is a grill which allows for air infiltration. Inside there is two fans and to the left there is a a small handle that has three notches to position the small door opening (4"x2" door). I leave this door shut it appears to provide a seperate flue, I'm not entirely sure what the purpose of this door is.

Status
Not open for further replies.