1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Fireplace tools smoking

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by slate, Feb 17, 2013.

1. slate

slate New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    This has happened with two different shovels and an ash hoe - All different brands. When i have big bed of really hot coals, I stick the tool in to spread them around. Pull tool out and its smoking, giving off acrid smell. Concerns wife of course. It seems like a coating burning off. Anyone know?

First post. First year burning 24-7. Learned a ton from this forum. Thank you.
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I would guess it's the paint burning off if it's a painted tool. My ash bucket that's on it's third year smoked pretty good a few days ago when I shoveled out coals so I could clean the chimney.
    Backwoods Savage and ScotO like this.
  3. NortheastAl

NortheastAl Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Putnam, NY
    It's gotta be the paint.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah I had to run out of the basement a few years ago when I was pushing stuff in the F3 with a new shovel when the paint caught fire.
  5. Hearth Mistress

Hearth Mistress Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pt Pleasant, PA (SE PA)
    Same thing happened to me a few days into being a new burner last year, ran out of the house with it smoking like a SOB. I was lucky enough to find a local guy that makes cast iron tools and threw out all the painted stuff.
    Painted Tools + Fire = Stink :)
  6. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    Yuppers, it is the paint...do it a few more times and it will be gone and stop doing it.
  7. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Stick it in there and let it all burn off, otherwise your gonna stink up the house many more times, my new shovel did that a couple of times and my wife would come down and yell at me for stinking the house up (I should return the favor when she cooks ;)) so I let it all burn off in one shot and now no stinko.
  8. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    Yep my tools set done the same thing.
  9. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    or better yet when you do a burn pile outside take the tools out and put them in the coals there....no stink ever
  10. Dakotas Dad

Dakotas Dad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Kentucky
    I repaint my tools every summer. Trust these guys.. it's the paint curing and/or burning off.
  11. slate

slate New Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Thanks everyone for the info.

Why would the manufacturers paint tools that will be exposed to such extreme heat?
  12. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I had an el Cheapo set that stunk like crazy. After looking at them it closely I found that they weren't painted....they were friggin powder coated! Which is basically a layer of hard plastic......man did they stink!

Burned all the powder coating off of them and they are fine now.
  13. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Agreed. I have the original tools from our 1979 Resolute. They are unpainted and look almost as good as when we got them, though they are a bit more ashen now.
  14. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    For looks. Painted things look prettier. However, it is the same thing with stove pipe and even with stoves. Fire them up the first time or two and they sometimes smoke a lot and stink too. This is the reason some choose to set up a new stove outdoors and put a length or two of pipe on it then fire it up. Get that paint smell out before it even gets to the house.
  15. maverick06

maverick06 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    media, pa
    I didnt think mine where wainted, turns out they were painted black... after i notived the problem I let them sit in a big coal bed and the doors closed as much as possible with the handles sitting out and let the paint burn off.

They done smell anymore, sometimes smoke a little, but thats probably not the metal poker, but the stuff thats on the poker, soot and whatnot.
  16. mfglickman

mfglickman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW CT
    Mine were dirt cheap from a garage sale - no smell - so I'd think paint too.
  17. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    This, and to keep rust from forming before they get sold.
    How many would purchase a rusty tool?
  18. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    I made my own and would never think to paint them?? I do understand why manufacturers do it to avoid rust but still seems silly.

I want to see the "Cast Iron" tools mentioned above? Are you sure they are cast or did you mean wrought? Which likely is not true wrought and just mild steel because wrought is somewhat rare anymore. Only one place manufacturing it and they are in England - it is all recycled stuff. We have many tons at the fab shop from old bridges.

I would think cast tools would not last too long and would shatter if stressed - especially with the hot/cold.
    ScotO likes this.
  19. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    Can get nice tools from local blacksmiths/forges sometimes.
    ScotO likes this.
  20. ScotO

ScotO Guest

This is my shovel for the fireplace........circa 1740......
    It don't smoke at all, and its been around for quite a while......
    One of the rams horns broke off of the handle eons ago, I'll be repairing that someday. They don't make tools like they used to.....

2013-02-19_19-28-50_422.jpg
    fishingpol, charly and BobUrban like this.
  21. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    It's only 273 years old and the horn broke already?
    What a piece of junk. Take it back to ye old smithy for a refund.==c
    firefighterjake, fishingpol and ScotO like this.
  22. BobUrban

BobUrban Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Michigan
    Scotty if you have the original or could get me dimentions on the existing rams horn(trace it as best as possible) I could hammer one out for you at the forge. With a little grinding and a mig it would be an easy install and the price would be right - FREE

That is if I ever find time to get back to the forge - been busy lately with work and it is firewood gathering season in my free time.

I am sure you are not in a hurry :) and if it is true wrought I have plenty of that to make it as original as possible
    ScotO likes this.
  23. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Thanks, Bob! I'll let you know. I may make it myself on my buddy's forge, as my forge is still in pieces in my shop.....
    I have some antique wrought spikes and nails laying around, an old square nail with a little work would do the trick.