FireplaceX is horrible

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Carlv123

Feb 17, 2015
Asheville nc
Going on 2nd season and this thing insert is just a pain. 10 hour burn time my a$$. 6 at best.

Unless I use kiln dried wood, it doesn't stay lit. It's like the air gets choked off when I close the door. Anyone else have a problem with theirs?

If I had the money, I would replace this ASAP.

What model do you have? Sounds like it's starving for air, do you have an outside air kit (OAK)?

Sounds like it may be a fuel problem. What are you trying to burn besides the kiln dried wood? What is that wood's moisture content?

Going on 2nd season and this thing insert is just a pain. 10 hour burn time my a$$. 6 at best.

Unless I use kiln dried wood, it doesn't stay lit. It's like the air gets choked off when I close the door. Anyone else have a problem with theirs?

If I had the money, I would replace this ASAP.
What moisture content is your wood at?

It's a Large Hybrid Fyre insert. The wood is at 18-22%, which is about the best we do around here.

That's only a little bit too wet for my taste, but should still burn. Are you shutting the door and turning down the air too soon?

It's a Large Hybrid Fyre insert. The wood is at 18-22%, which is about the best we do around here.
How is that measured? What does the kiln dried measure?

I did get the cat probe installed by the dealer. I split the wood and used a meter to measure. The kiln dried was about 12%. I don't turn the air down until it gets to 1200 on the cat probe.

Where does the unit draw air from?