Fireview installed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 or 3 loads a day is what we usually do unless it is very cold and we are pushing hard, then it's 4 loads, but at that rate ash build up can be a problem. While my house is not that big, it is drafty, so on the coldest days the Fireview struggles.

Sounds good. You should have no problem with a 2 load 12 hour burn schedule with good dry hardwood.

Weather is crappy here, I just loaded up one of my Keystone's for a long slow burn to take the chill off.

Ya nights in the low 30's here so i've been burnin off some stink.Nice to not have to feed a stove so often,this things almost set it and forget it.

Bub, congrats on your new stove. Looks great! The wife and I will be heading to Woodstock on Friday to check out their place and look at their stoves. Looks like the FireView will do the job here, as my Esse cook stove heats the other half of my house. A little over 3 hour drive for me. My Quad 5700 will be going out in my garage . Mike said coming over to pick out a stove lets you select the stone pattern you like, verses just sending you something. I'm sure your going to love your stove! Keep us posted!

We went to the factory some time before we bought the stove so never got to pick it out but oh boy did that stone turn out nice.Those stoves will look small to you but don't let it fool ya.This thing is very nice and i think will fit the bill.It does so far,what good burn times!Thanks all for the replies.

Good news. What are your current indoor vs outdoor temps?

I figure going from a convection stove to a radiant stove should be a big change as well. I'm thinking it will throw out much more heat then my QuadraFire did.

Oh, it's a gnome! I thought Woodstock was including a Dennis bobble-head with every purchase. ;)
That is so awesome on the Dennis bobblehead, lol.
Enjoy the stove, I loved my Fireview this was the first year of service with it.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Outdoor 45 indoor low 80's in the stoveroom but it is because we have been cooking and i forgot to turn the fans on and the air was set on 3 so i had to close it up.Mid 70's in the livingroom.The kitchen butts onto the stoveroom so that warmed it up some.I'll get ya a better reading when i have things all running as they should be.Still learning the settings on the stove.I usually run it at around 350 to 400,alot better than 250 to 300 in the Rangeley (creosote).As far as radiant vs convection the Rangeley was both but there is still alot of difference in comfort.Smooooth! Been burning soft wood days since we got it so it is a little harder to control with the faster burning and more often reloads.Hardwood at night and it stays at around 375 to 400.That's set at 1 with the cat engaged.It's like half the work burning used to be.I'll take a cat over the 2ndaries but that's just my situation.I think it's easier to run with the cat but my stove was too big so maybe that's why.

I was going to ask you what setting seemed to be your sweet spot, but it may be a little soon? Most people burn somewhere around #1 but when the cold weather sets in you may find you have to go a little lower to get the same results. I can set my Keystones a little lower than my old Fireview but the Keystone has the ash pan hole that lets a little more air into the box.

Sounds like that Fireview will be a perfect fit for you. Lots of people here think you should always go bigger but I have found a smaller cat stove will give you more control and longer burns and still give you the heat you need in the colder weather.

Bub, for sure next winter things will be a lot different and you will find the stove running 500-600 most of the time. As for the setting, as Todd stated, around 1 is the sweet spot for most. In late spring and early fall, we run at one or just a tad above. Normal winter setting for us is below 1 to about 3/4. At that we have no problem getting the stove to above 600 and the house to 80 or above.

You 2 are right about the settings,right now i'm gonna say the top side of the lever will just be touching the 1 but i'd say prob 1 1/4 would be great.Should i have some flame in the firebox? I try to set it so there is just a little dancin around in there though it will burn after you let the wood start to coal and then kill the flame and the cat will take care of it.That setting right there is just about dead on 1 so i like the 1 1/4 a little better.I watch the stack for smoke but i don't think the darn stove knows how to smoke.==c Also i agree with Todd that the smaller cat stove will fit the bill with the longer burns,better control and smaller more comfortable stove.Once again,this is my situation.Dennis,you've been right the whole way.

I found the answer to this that you sent me in an e-mail Dennis,thanks.Knew i'd read it somewhere.

I found the answer to this that you sent me in an e-mail Dennis,thanks.Knew i'd read it somewhere.

Very nice Bub. On the flame, we too usually keep some flame at least during the early stages of the fire. But later in the burn, the flame will dies out and still throws lots of heat. Your setting is probably right on.

Status
Not open for further replies.