Firewood cart?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turner-n-Burner

Hearth Supporter
Mar 21, 2006
North of Boston
Anyone use this kind of cart? They look pretty handy, and the HF price is certainly attractive. I can't make anything for this price!

Or does anyone know if the HF version is crap and I should go with a pricier model?

I was thinking I could use this to bring wood from the pile to the back porch... Maybe even getting two, and having a couple of days of wood indoors and handy without having to stack and restack...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=44599

-Dan

Here's something I put together out of stuff I already had laying around. I use it to haul wood in by the stove. It's not very pretty, but it works great! http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v604/quads/wood-box.jpg

Outside I just use my cheap wheelbarrow, a nursery/garden type wagon (which tips over easily), or my little Harbor Freight trailor behind my ATV.

I bought a medium duty garden wagon from Lowes for around $65 bucks. I tow it behind my riding lawnmower or pull it by hand. It will carry more than that cart but does cost more. Good luck!

Well apparently my local HF store does not stock the wood cart. Bummer. I've got a 15% off one item coupon to be used in store only that I was hoping to use on it. If anyone wants it, PM me and I'll forward it to you.

Later,

Eric

HI guys,

I have a similar cart that wahoowad has. Yellow?

Two days ago, I was hauling some wood and my 3 year old is pushing. "Papa," he said," I cannot push!" I look around and one wheel came off. So I checked it and not the nut came off and therefore the wheel, no, the rim broke off the axle. I guess 3 years and about 40 cords is all it could handle. I ordered a new wheel and hopelfully I will be good to go again.

Also, if Eric J. wants to join in, I really like the cart he has. He has something that looks identical to the cart HF has, but it is made from a double wheel wheelbarrow with two of these large bicycle tires on the side. The big difference is that he modified it with a larger handle and a larger wooden beam to hold the wood. Also the axle is really heavy duty and the distance between the tires allowes for larger splits than 20".

Thanks

carpniels

PS. I looked at making my own but the boudble wheeled wheelbarrow alone is over $200. Look here at the utility or jumbo cart. http://www.ezhaulcart.com/Original2-WheelCarts.html. Imagine the tub gone and a wooden frame there to hold the wood.

Hey Niels. Good to see you!

Here's my cart. I made it out of what was (at the time) a pretty cheap wheel barrow (less than $100 on a discontinued demo). You can still set the plastic barrow into the bunk and use it to haul other stuff, but it's a great wood hauler. One nice thing is that there's about 28 inches between the wheels. I cut my wood to 24 inches, but quite often it's a little longer than that.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/1023/

carpneils,

yup, I have that yellow wagon. I'm pretty sure I am using it to it's limits too! I might have to reinforce it, but it is holding up so far. Funny, I had a bolt come off and the front axle collapsed! I think I just didn't tighten something down right. The nuts are those self-locking kind so maybe I didn't tighten it down. Overall I am still pleased with it.

Here is my wood cart.............

16 cf and we load it as high as it will stack and throw the tractor on low range.
It also does a good job a hauling rednecks around.

Attachments

• Copy of PIC00002.JPG
    Copy of PIC00002.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 654
Roospike said:
Here is my wood cart.............

16 cf and we load it as high as it will stack and throw the tractor on low range.
It also does a good job a hauling rednecks around.

This is the rig I have been using to haul firewood out of the woods this year, looks like we should swap trailers.
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i208/andre_b/House Stuff/Mowertrailer.jpg

Before I used a John Deere B with a trailer that would haul around 1/2 to 3/4 cord. Since the farthest corner of my land is only about 900 feet from the wood shed making more trips is not that much of a problem. Also making a trail to a downed tree is a lot faster for the smaller rig. Now that we have a little snow I need to put the tire chains on but if we get more then a few inches its all over for the little rig.

One problem I have found with the trailer is that the axle needs to be moved about 6 inches back. The load of 54" long poles was loaded with all the big ends forward and still the CG is behind the axle. Even with the 50lb wheel weights it needs all the traction it can get.
The 54" length is perfect because they can be cut into 4 pieces of 13.5" for north south loading or 3 of 18" for east west loading.

Yo Turner,

Did you buy it?

Drove by a hardware store that had both woodchuck models for sale and checked them out...they were 99. there.

Would this be a whole lot better than my wheelbarrow? I'm already acquiring more stuff than I have room for.

For flat ground - no, probably not. On rough ground, or if you want to go up or down stairs - say to a porch or a basement, then yes, these carts are really pretty good at that.

Status
Not open for further replies.