firewood is a family afair

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blacktail

Minister of Fire
Sep 18, 2011
Western WA
I've cut wood with my dad since I was a little kid. I'm not sure when I started cutting with him, maybe 6 or 8 years old. I still remember that I'd take the hatchet my grandpa gave me and whack on some logs while my dad ran a saw. And back then a wood cutting trip often included a break for learning to shoot a .22.
Now that I'm in my mid 30's with my own house to heat, we still cut together. Two houses to heat, three wood stoves, four saws, two trucks. My sister, almost 30 years old, had never experienced the fun of wood cutting until yesterday. My dad had an opportunity to cut some logging leftovers, my sister had the day off, and she wanted to see what it was all about. She posed for pics with his Husky and helped load his GMC. I hear she even split some rounds!
I went back with dad this morning and filled his GMC again, plus my Toyota for my girlfriend's parents. My GF's dad was telling me last week that alder is his favorite firewood, and there happened to be a good pile of alder available. He's been nothing but great to me, but he thinks fir gunks his chimney, has a slammer instal, and is chronically behind on wood :rolleyes:
Anyway, pics attached of my sister yesterday posing with dad's Husky, their load yesterday, me today, and our hauls from today. All in the pissing rain too.
Sister wants to actually learn to run a saw so we're trying to coordinate our schedules to get her out running my 290. 4.16.14a.JPG 4.16.14e.JPG 4.17.14a.JPG 4.17.14d.JPG 4.17.14c2.jpg

That's awesome. Hoping to start a family tradition with my family too! My daughter is almost 2 so she can't help much yet. But when I stack wood she likes to take a little piece at a time and bring it over for me.
9a3yvajy.jpg

Good on ya for still working with the old man and getting your sis in the work.

Yep - I used to get the young ones to help (grandkids)
camtractorsm.jpg

Can anyone tell me how to rotate pics??

Can anyone tell me how to rotate pics??
I read if you take them with the camera/phone sideways instead of upright they will be "correct" when you post them. Blacktail, nobody in my house seems to have any interest in anything firewood related, except the wife once in a while will help stack or bring it in the house. But they all love to be warm in the winter haha! Good for you, maybe someday my 16 yr old son will help me, but not holding my breath

That's great getting the family involved. Our son just turned 25 and has never ran a chainsaw, he wants to learn. He can drive any of the tractors on the farm and do about anything in the fields but never got around to using a saw. I guess we're a bit reluctant put him on a saw as we've already lost one son, not to a saw accident but a medical condition.

It looks like it's as rainy there as it is on the East Coast this year.

Thanks for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.