1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Firewood wall pass-through (air lock)

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by semipro, Jan 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    Nice setup. Kind of reminds me of a coal chute.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. OhioBurner©

OhioBurner© Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Ohio
    If you have a tractor with loader maybe you should have done this: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/65541/
  3. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    That's impressive. That's what I want to just on a smaller scale.
  4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    I don't know, I think your system is just about perfect and it looks good on both sides. If you had your loader at a nice working height, how long and how much effort would it take to fill the pass-through? And, you don't have to worry about a little sway in a tight space with the front end of your tractor in the snow or slop.
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Very cool bookshelf/wood storage . . . there's probably a reason for this . . . but why didn't you simply put the hinge on the side instead of at the top of the outer door?
  6. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    I think you've found the bug in any plans to use pallets and the tractor; I'd probably damage the structure with the tractor when the wheels or my hands slips.

I'm just going to stick with the the FEL without pallets for now.
  7. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    The door is pretty heavy and I was concerned about sagging, fit, hiding the hinges, and stresses on the structure. I also though it might be nice to have a roof over my head while loading.
  8. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    Both very nice setups.
    I have a similar set up into my furnace room.
  9. RAY_PA

RAY_PA Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    I'll get some pics of mine tonight and post them.
  10. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western CT
  11. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    That was my original plan but I'm still undecided. The struts would be the slickest I think..other than something motorized.
  12. RAY_PA

RAY_PA Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Northeastern PA
    sorry it took so long. My memory isnt what it used to be.
    This was in the house when we bought it, so I cant take credit. But it is the cats hindend for keeping the dirt to a minimum and having the wood close to the Summit. (we did install the summit in the existing fireplace). This pass through goes into a hallway from the garage to the basement. So I keep a weeks worth of wood in the garage and fill this bin every morning. I really like it and would have no idea what to do if it wernt there.

Attached Files:

13. struggle

struggle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Iowa
    OUr house had a built in area to the left of the fireplace with the same idea in mind. Door on the outside and one trimmed out wainscotting on the inside. THe problem for us was that when it was built there was no house to the the east of us. No that landscaping has matured and a homeis to our eaast it makes the door worthless since you cannot drive up to it with a trailer and in the winter that side of the house is not accessible by vehicle or wheel barrow.

When I recovered the chimney exterior with vinly siding after removing improperly installed facsia (cast stone with water intrusion from not having a wicking system in place). I also removed the exterior access door at that time as well since the design allowed water to get behind the door and was creating a water issue to the structure. So that is all corrected now.

We leave a trailer full in the garage and bring in muck bucket of wood in when burning and it works better and faster than the door thing ever did for us.
  14. Cowboy Billy

Cowboy Billy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Britton MI
    Cool Very nice Job!

I am think about how I want to build a cabin in the next few years at the farm. Since I am going to store the wood in the basement I am thinking of making a dumb waiter to lift my wood up and next to the stove.

Billy
  15. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    Our neighbor has one that goes from his lower level into a cabinet right next to the stove in the living room on the main floor. It is sweet.
  16. semipro

semipro Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Virginia
    This seems to be the way to do it. One load in the tractor almost fills it and is pretty easy to transfer. The chains I had to install on the tractor made a world of difference too.

Although overall not going out at night to haul in wood is better I do still kind of miss the experience... except for the one night when that coon tried to shinny up my leg. :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.