First day in the woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2008
Schoharie County, N Y
Well I finally got to cut some wood today. I am trying out the jeep as a wood hauler. I cut 2 Ash and 3 small Hemlock.

E5317EE1-545E-4052-A3CD-E93D38755725-502-000000582A88B879_zps4b2abda1.jpg

Not too bad for a couple of hours of work
0EECF364-69D5-463B-9480-DBABFC239E6F-502-0000005853592655_zpsed32d2ac.jpg

My next victim

01F10766-20D6-438F-A00F-A73EE3658103-502-000000583B4D35EE_zpsd20b4106.jpg

going to be a couple trips with the jeep for your next victim

Nice shed I see in the background, what species is the next victim? Hickory?

The shed is just a wood rack with a metal roof and the next victim is a Shagbark Hickory.

No. but it will be. I need some high BTUs for the cold winter nights.

I likes me some shaggy for fuel. One of my all time favorites.

That jeep with chains should be a sure footed little billy goat.

That jeep will not be hauling the shagbark. Just wait for the picture. Jack will haul that on a trailer. Nice wood.

Looks like an oversized ATV LOL :)
It gets you to the wood & brings it home!

Very nice wood haul! A few hours & lots of BTUs.

Before ATVs, the jeep was the off road king ;)

Nice stacks, shed . . . . Nice set up all around.

i have a couple shags in the woods and Im scared to cut them down because they look like they would be a beeitch to chop up by hand with all the knotts i can see through the bark. I need some hydraulics

I split most of my by hand (thank you Fiskars!) if I can't split it I noodle it with my chainsaw.:cool:

I split most of my by hand (thank you Fiskars!) if I can't split it I noodle it with my chainsaw.:cool:[/quot

Does wood season the same after being noodled compared to being split? Never noodled before but understand what it means.

Gee, I never thought about it. I would say yes. The advantage w/noodling it is that you can split where you want to.

chains on a jeep??? thats what the 4 wheel drive lever is for. must not be a Rubi. good excuse to take the jeep off road. :)

cass

I need the chains to plow snow, it makes a huge difference:cool:

Reactions: ScotO
i have a couple shags in the woods and Im scared to cut them down because they look like they would be a beeitch to chop up by hand with all the knotts i can see through the bark. I need some hydraulics

Easy fix. Just cut it up, load it onto a trailer and come for a visit. We'll split the wood and have some time for a nice chat.

Jack, isn't it a bit early for the tire chains?

are there many hickories nearby?

I have quite a few.

Hey Scotty, what kind of tractor is that in your avatar?

Easy fix. Just cut it up, load it onto a trailer and come for a visit. We'll split the wood and have some time for a nice chat.
If I lived closer Sav, I'd be up helping ya every other weekend in the winter. You're first class, all the way buddy. We'll be up in your neck of the woods next summer (gonna go to Michilimackinac and Mackinac for a couple days). we'll be looking you and the Mrs. up.

Status
Not open for further replies.