First fire of the season

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Montanalocal

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2014
Helena MT
All day yesterday heavy clouds and rain. By evening it was very chilly. Boy, that nice warm heat is great. Raining all night and this morning. Temps hovering in the lower 30's. The pic is a local pass outside of town with a skiff of snow.
Vid-000267002-00-01-2016-09-05-14-05.jpg

Not to sound mean but glad it's you
and not me :cool: Way to early, some time in
October maybe

Can't come soon enough for me. I am uncomfortable any time it is in the 70's and sunny. Must be my Swedish and Norwegian blood.

Yeah its been cool eh? Ive had evening fires the last 3 nights with similar weather as you. Night before last it was 42f and pouring down rain and last night it was around the same temp but under clear skies. It felt nice to have some wood heat in the house again.

wow - I don't think I'll even be thinking about a fire indoors for another month here - we're getting up to 87 today. Had a nice fire outside last night though.

Reactions: heavy hammer
Back east we're expecting 90s later this week. Ugh. At least the nights are getting cooler. When I stepped outside this morning it felt "crisp" for the first time in a long while. Around here it usually takes a strong cold front around mid-September before the weather cools down enough for me to get back to splitting. Sadly there never seems to be enough time between summer ("too hot") & winter ("too cold" and/or "too wet").

Reactions: red oak
Seanm,

Yeah, I figured you would be chiming in soon. We did not get a killing frost in the garden with this. Our first killing frost is usually about Sept. 15

Reactions: Seanm
Normally I'd welcoming the winter weather already this time of year. But I'm still working in getting my system ready. So it can hold off for me alittle while longer. In a few months send it this way though.

Back east we're expecting 90s later this week. Ugh. At least the nights are getting cooler. When I stepped outside this morning it felt "crisp" for the first time in a long while. Around here it usually takes a strong cold front around mid-September before the weather cools down enough for me to get back to splitting. Sadly there never seems to be enough time between summer ("too hot") & winter ("too cold" and/or "too wet").

Where in NoVa are you located? I'm in Shenandoah County. I don't think I've ever built a fire indoors until the end of September, and that's only been once in 16 years. Normally it's second week in October before the first fire here. I know for sure it won't be this week:)

Reactions: Hasufel
Where in NoVa are you located? I'm in Shenandoah County. I don't think I've ever built a fire indoors until the end of September, and that's only been once in 16 years. Normally it's second week in October before the first fire here. I know for sure it won't be this week:)
I'm in Great Falls, about as far north as you can go in Fairfax County. We're lucky here because the trees and topography create a microclimate that keeps us cooler than average in the summer. When DC is 100 degrees, we're generally closer to 90. Still too hot for my taste, but it could be worse.

I spent a lot of time in Shenandoah County in my younger days. Beautiful area. Had I been able to afford it at the time I would have bought some land there for a weekend retreat. I used to think Fort Valley was the coolest thing, practically cut off from everything around it...

I'm in Great Falls, about as far north as you can go in Fairfax County. We're lucky here because the trees and topography create a microclimate that keeps us cooler than average in the summer. When DC is 100 degrees, we're generally closer to 90. Still too hot for my taste, but it could be worse.

I spent a lot of time in Shenandoah County in my younger days. Beautiful area. Had I been able to afford it at the time I would have bought some land there for a weekend retreat. I used to think Fort Valley was the coolest thing, practically cut off from everything around it...

I'm familiar with Great Falls, have some very good friends up there and was up there just this past weekend. Where do you find wood up there? Or do you have it all delivered?

I'm familiar with Great Falls, have some very good friends up there and was up there just this past weekend. Where do you find wood up there? Or do you have it all delivered?
Much of Great Falls is heavily forested, especially as you get closer to the Potomac. I'm lucky to be surrounded by plenty of mature hardwood trees. Mother nature knocks them down, I chop them up! :)

Reactions: red oak
Seanm,

Yeah, I figured you would be chiming in soon. We did not get a killing frost in the garden with this. Our first killing frost is usually about Sept. 15
We sometimes get a frost in late August but havent had one yet. We were down to 36.5 f the other day so it was close. Im not done with my beans yet so a killing frost can wait. I was out for a bush cruise today and brought home a bit of lodgepole pine and larch all below 20% mc so into the stove this year it goes. When I got to the higher elevation it got cold enough that it started sleeting!

Can't come soon enough for me. I am uncomfortable any time it is in the 70's and sunny. Must be my Swedish and Norwegian blood.
Every word of that applies to me. Dad is 100% Norwegian. Mom's dad was largely Swede. The timeline of my life is marked by sunburns.

I usually associate my first fires with the start of good coho fishing in late September. Thought about a fire the last couple nights but held off. Brought in some alder tonight but the clouds and rain that moved in are keeping things a touch warmer than the previous couple nights.
No fires after a day of coho fishing this year. Predictions of a terrible run and fisheries politics already squashed salmon fishing this fall.

Is there an unlike button? I'm so far behind from working most weekends this year, I really don't want to see this.

I have been burning for a couple weeks now, but just because I wanted to test my new stove. It does get to 45 F at night, but our new insulation and my super computer keep it relatively warm inside. When I do burn I hit 85F inside very easy, especially now that I sealed the 4' by 8' hole that was left in the roof by the old masonry fireplace we removed. I did not burn last night, temp dropped to a low of 43.5F. I never saw lower then 65F inside last night (5am). It always feels colder in my daughters room and I am not sure how to solve that issue. For now we have to leave their door open after they fall asleep to get the warmer air in the room.

Had eighties and nineties last couple of weeks with just a little cool down in sight. Basement stove not piped in yet and insert still in the crate in the garage. I'm good with not burning for at least another month. I'm ready with wood though, six to eight cords sitting two to three years seasoned black locust and cherry ready to go. I just hope the heat stays awhile longer.

Thank God we are no where near fire season. Today is going to be in the 90's with a heat index 104°. We'll just spend the day in the pool.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Best time of the year, 3C this morning with highs of 23c. Perfect weather for me! Had a couple fires last week after some cooler daytime temps. Never forget the smell of the first fire of the season!

It has been a beautiful Sept. so far! Calling for 6*C (42*F) for tonight. Maybe I should dust off the stove and have a morning fire tomorrow.

It has been a beautiful Sept. so far! Calling for 6*C (42*F) for tonight. Maybe I should dust off the stove and have a morning fire tomorrow.
I'm definitely jealous! DC set a new record high of 95F today. I tried splitting some gnarly white oak the other day but had to give up after one round--still too hot and buggy to mess with anything that doesn't split on the first swing. Enjoy!

Nice! No rain here in weeks. 90 today. I'm ready for some Woodheat

Reactions: Seanm
Ive had a good long run with evening burns but the stove is cold tonight. Looks like things are warming up for a little bit so wont need it, besides Im going west for a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.