First sweep of FireplaceX LFA Insert and question on Wohler Sweep brush

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

laxin213

Burning Hunk
Sep 18, 2014
Buffalo NY
I had the stove shop come out to do my annual sweep for my new insert. This past winter was my first and I burned 9 face cords (about 3 full cords) through it of mixed hardwoods that as 18% +/-. The wood had sat 18 months. There was a learning curve for me as it was my first cat stove, forums here have been big help.

He took off the faceplate, cleaned out the blowers (which I had done a couple times). He cleaned the glass (done that often) and proceeded to use his brush from my living room after putting down some drop cloths, etc. and hooking up his vac. He had what I've researched to be a wohler viper, he said "lets see how well you used your insert". He was a really nice guy and always looking to point out hints or make sure I knew what he was doing, etc. He pulled his brush all the way through which looked remarkably simple and remarked "wow, whatever you're doing keep doing it". Very little soot and its not glazed". I then snapped the pic below. He then showed me how to use a telescoping mirror and flashlight to shine through my cat to make sure its clean, then vacuumed out my insert and off he went. never went on my roof. In fairness it was just installed, but it was about $140 for that. I'm considering buying a brush to do my own cleanings, and have them come maybe once every 3-4 years or something. Man that wohler is pricey like $395. Anything else that style, non drill based and simple hand push pull that's cheaper?

Heres the pic of the soot, please give opinions. The insert had not been vacuumed out yet, it had some ash from my last fire in there that was grey and all the black stuff is obviously soot from the chimney.

Attachments

• IMG_2958.JPG
    IMG_2958.JPG
    527.9 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_2959.JPG
    IMG_2959.JPG
    409.4 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:
No the viper is the only one like that but you could use simple rods to do it. And btw $140 is cheap you got a deal.

Reactions: webby3650
Don't know where you found it for $395? Typically they are closer to $500+ range. Maybe you were looking at the handy viper?

Then he has brushes and a $1,500 vacuum. Then add insurance and operating expenses all the while giving you pointers and peace of mind. $140 is a great deal!
Good job on the clean burning practices!

Reactions: jeff_t
Amazon has the wohler viper L #9412 for $393.

I agree the value is good. They usually charge $175 a cleaning at my local stove shop but they had a sale for April cleanings. Thanks for the input everyone

wow i just checked amazon we payed about 500 for ours at that price i might buy another one ours is getting pretty worn

Status
Not open for further replies.