1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

First time Super Cedar user

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by kayakkeith, Sep 2, 2012.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi
    Like I said earlier in this thread I started a fire, the other day, with one Rutland Square.

But then again I also said one quarter of a Super Cedar , is definitely superior to one Rutland Square.

Because I have just cut up a bunch of pallet wood, and have a crap load kindling, I will be starting some fires with that, and a small amount of paper.
    If I had to make kindling. I would just use a fire starter instead.

Thomas, I was unbiased until I tried the Super Cedars
    The free samples are a great marketing strategy, because I will be buying the product. Now
    NWfuel likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Just got my case of 72 starters , thay are the "cats Meow" for starting a fire . I have used them for 2 years now and worth the price!!!
    NWfuel likes this.
  3. Standingdead

Standingdead Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Saratoga county, NY
    I wrote the company and they sent me a couple free samples. They seem like a classy organization. I tried the product and they are everything people here on hearth say....they work great. Sure there are other firestarters i could spend my money on, but I would rather spend it with quality people. I give credit to Thomas for taking care of Hearth members with a 10% discount, and posting on this site. I think they " earned" my business.
    NWfuel likes this.
  4. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    . . . but avoid the gasoline. :rolleyes:
  5. Treacherous

Treacherous Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WA state
    I notice on Amazon a few of the lower rated reviews mentioned the following about the Rutlands:

- multiple fire starters needed for anything less than perfectly dry firewood
    - multiple needed to start fire with hard woods
    - long times for initial ignition of fire starter
    - difficult to get lit if you ever got them damp/wet (maybe because they are partly recycled paper?)

I'll have to look around Youtube. I would like to see if a single Rutland can start a cold box fire with 3-4 med/large splits. I use a 1/4 SC with this combo and fire starts are predictably easy every time.

Not a lot of videos out there and this one has a woman using fatwood with the Rutlands.

6. FrankMA

FrankMA Member

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley - Northeastern MA
    I just started using SC this season after using some fire starters I got at BJ's. The BJ's product works good but the SC starters definitely burn hotter and longer which gets a good fire going much faster. I can get fairly good sized dry splits going easily with the SC's whereas before I would need to use much smaller, kindling type wood to start my fire and keep it going to the point where I could add larger size splits. I usually use two 1/4 pieces of one SC at both ends of my splits and away they go. Just getting started with these this season so I may be able to step down to just one 1/4 piece and see how that works.
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    You may see them sold with different names because they offer wholesale quantities with custom labels, I believe.

BTW, don't throw away the dust. It's called Pixie Dust" (who coined that? I can't remember) Throw a little on your fire now and then for a little display.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan

Ed, I think perhaps you and some others might be missing the point. This thread was about Super Cedars and that is how it should stay. If you want to change the thread then it is up to you to start a new one.

In favor of Thomas and Super Cedars, it is really nice to be able to support another member of hearth.com and it is an excellent product. Perhaps it would be best to just let this one die out. If others prefer to buy elsewhere, that is fine but we don't need to start a pi$$ing contest here so it would be nice if you just let this one die out.
    es332, dylskee and NWfuel like this.
  9. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    ==c
    firefighterjake and NWfuel like this.
  10. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Me. It's $.1622 per quarter:p (Based on a "green" box of 100...) Pixie Dust included.
  11. bluedogz

bluedogz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Maryland
    This just made me snarf coffee. You owe me a keyboard.
  12. Sprinter

Loc:
    SW Washington
    Right.
  13. Got Wood

Got Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Dutchess Cty, NY
    I keep a bunch of "broken up" cedars in a paper bag. I break each puck into 4-6 pieces depending on how they break and catch the "pixie dust" in the bag. When I use the last piece out of the bag there is always an amount of "pixie dust" in the bag - I pour use that to start a fire as well - just pour it out of the bag onto a split and light. Never had a fire that didnt take off using them.