First time this ever happened!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Petstang

Nov 11, 2016
Glastonbury CT
IMG_0140.JPG
I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. I've been splitting wood for years and never had this happen before! Now what?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get a hydraulic splitter!

Try a wedge in the side, along the bottom part of the split. Sometimes I've used a heavy-duty crowbar to help open a stubborn split like that, or to free a stuck wedge.

Reactions: Jeffm1
If you look closely at the bottom of the split I tried to go in perpendicular with another wedge but didn't get too far.

I wonder about flipping it over and cutting it with my saw from the bottom towards the wedges.

Keep pounding the wedges into the split. It'll eventually go.

Turn it on its side and slice down through the knot on the bottom with your chain saw.

Reactions: toddnic and Jeffm1
Carefully start cutting the fibers on the bottom. Eventually it will start to give and can either be pounded the rest or cut through, but watch the chain and wedges.

welcome!

Turn the whole thing over and whack at the other side with the hammer....

Reactions: Jeffm1
Try using the maul around the outside. Take off small pieces all the way around.

View attachment 187742 I've been lurking for a while and finally decided to join. I've been splitting wood for years and never had this happen before! Now what?
Done that before,get a chainsaw very carefully cut from the top down next to wedges ,works perfectly,pay attention ,take your time.

Hope you don't have too many of those, a hundred swings a block. You will end up in good shape or bed ridden.

If you don't like the chainsaw approach keep swinging with the sledge it will go. There is still a lot of wedge above the wood. If you have a maul like said earlier try taking off some of the sides to make the piece smaller, or turn it over and swing away. You might need to get a few more wedges, I have seen very large diameter elm stop seven wedges. If you are willing to not give up you will win. It might not be the smartest route, but sometimes you just have to grind at it to get it done. Or just buy a large wood splitter.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
Keep pounding............

Reactions: heavy hammer
I took ohlongarm's advice and sliced from top to bottom right next to the wedges. I had to finish pounding the wedges but it eventually split apart.

This ash that I scrounged was harder to split than any of the oak or maple I have ever done.

Yard trees are the worst. Had a yard ash that you would have sworn was an elm by only looking at the split face. Super stringing and tough going. Burning some right now puts a smile on my face. For me it's worth it, but I have access to a splitter any time I need.

Heh - I've been there... usually some horrific knot that I think I'll wedge apart and it just eats the wedge. I have a couple of thin wedges that I would put alongside one of those current wedges - one that's already got a small gap due to the presence of the others. Tap (don't slam) it in there. It looks like most of the heavy splitting is done, and there's just a stubborn hinge on the bottom.

One trick that helps me (other than keeping four wedges around) is to get a decent bit of split going on with a single wedge, and then go with two wedges face to face so you make a super wide wedge. Tap the double wedge in evenly with measured strength because they may pop out. But as soon as the pair does some work you pull the first wedge out so you never lose all your wedges.

I have a pallet and a half of what I call "The Unsplittables". It's just not even worth it!:)

Reactions: Copper44
I think I must be a wood junkie. I wanted a picture to see what it looked like when you finally split it.

I’ve used two wedges with success also split from both sides, I split my own wood and some at my father’s house for a small wood stove. When left with big knotty pieces that can’t be split down any further for the smallish wood stove I take them home with me and burn them in my fireplace, usually chunks of oak and sometimes cherry and maple. I lay them in my firebox and build the fire on top of them. After a couple hours I have a nice burning chunk of dense wood that forms a great coal bed. Also leaving partially split chunks sit in the weather for a few weeks helps with the splitting.

Status
Not open for further replies.