first weekend with the new 30 NC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

slickschoppers

Dec 1, 2017
iowa
this weekend I got my first few days of uninterrupted "stove time" with the new Englander.

I have all of my numbers written down at home, I was going to post. I recorded the room temp, stove temp, and time for the last couple of days.

it is working really well. there is a lot to get use to and figure out, but it heated the 2300 square foot room to a comfortable 70 degrees. both mornings when I got up the room was about 55 degrees. yes, that sounds cold, but normally the room is just above outside temp, and it has been 7 degrees as a daily high the last couple days,,, so 55 is actually warm for that room!!!

it takes a while for the stove to warm the room up, but in all fairness to the stove, that is a LOT of space, and objects to warm up!! once it is warm, it's easy to maintain the heat.

it's definitely a different KIND of heat too....

I keep the house at 68 degrees with a propane furnace. the great room seems much warmer at 68 degrees with the wood stove.... it's weird, I know the rooms are identical temp, but the wood stove really does feel warmer. maybe it's just all in my head.... LOL.

I did manage to get the secondaries running for a couple hours at a time. if I load up the stove on hot coals, I can get it to run with a chimney temp of about 350 to 400, with a stove top temp of about 570 to 620, the lever is about 1/4 open. I just let it run until the secondaries stop burning, then open the lever up some more to keep the temp up. in the video below, the chimney temp is about 400, with a stove top temp of 600...

My wife picked my up the a new D&D book for Christmas, and I decided to put my chair in front of the fire to watch it while I read Tales of the Yawning Portal.......... the stove had a new load of wood, that I had leveled out to cruising at about 500 degrees,,,, I had my coffee, my feet up, a good book, and the next thing you know... I woke up an hour later.......

If I had tried to read a book in the great room, on a 7 degree day before the new stove... Doctors would have been treating me for frost bite!! LOL!!!

I'll post my readings tonight when I get home.

Very nice! I have been to Iowa in the dead of winter before with the wind howling....damn that open country was cold!

Reactions: Stinkpickle
Looks good. Didn't take you long to dial er in. Is that loaded N/S or E/W?