First Year - Buying Wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ishamael69

Dec 31, 2013
Broken Arrow, OK
I am new to wood burning (well actually I am pre-new, my stove is sitting in the local Buck Stove warehouse still). What is the best way to go about getting my first season's wood? I have a big firewood seller here (www.fixmytrees.com), signs all over the place for call xxx for firewood, the big box sellers selling klin dried firewood from New Mexico by the cubic foot, etc. And everyone on here saying that it will likely be wet no matter where I buy it from unless I've seasoned it for three years myself. What should I do? I'm pretty sure the missus will not like it much if I tell her we have to wait 3 years to use her fancy new Christmas present... Also, apparently I'll need a stock of newspaper for starting. Anything else I need?

Whew! Where to start first. Truly kiln dried firewood will be dry and the 3 year rule doesn't apply.
New modern firestarters like fatwood or cedar disks are good for getting the fire started. Ask around
and see if someone like a firewood hoarder would possibly sell you a cord of precious 3 year seasoned
wood.

The wood most likely to be dry will be of whatever local species dry fastest. What kinds of trees are most common in your area?

I'm not sure the 3 year rule applies to your area for starters. Second, lots of wood season in under 3 years such as pine and other softwoods as well as some maple. I'm not sure what you have access to in your area. Oak is the one that takes 3 years in the stack to dry properly. At this point I would buy a lot of firewood (if you don't plan on cutting it yourself) and if nothing else it would get you ahead for future years. For this year maybe some kiln-dried or mix some kiln-dried with some less desirable stuff. Welcome!

I've got blackjack oak and elm in my back yard. There is a lot of black walnut and pine around the area too. While I plan on cutting my own if I can, I am not sure how much I'll need. I was going to order at least a rick maybe two for seasoning, then start cutting what has fallen in my yard from the ice storm. I wanted to see how much I used before I started hunting other people's property. Across from the golf course, there is an are of about 10 acres that they just uprooted all the trees from for development and there are about 50 (or more) good sized trees lying around. Not sure what kind, but I thought about stopping and asking if I could take a couple.

Also, anyone know of any firewood hoarders in the Tulsa, OK neighborhood that I might be able to buy from? Should I post in the for sale/wanted forum (it looked like mostly equipment in there, so I didn't yet...)?

I am new to wood burning (well actually I am pre-new, my stove is sitting in the local Buck Stove warehouse still). What is the best way to go about getting my first season's wood? I have a big firewood seller here (www.fixmytrees.com), signs all over the place for call xxx for firewood, the big box sellers selling klin dried firewood from New Mexico by the cubic foot, etc. And everyone on here saying that it will likely be wet no matter where I buy it from unless I've seasoned it for three years myself. What should I do? I'm pretty sure the missus will not like it much if I tell her we have to wait 3 years to use her fancy new Christmas present... Also, apparently I'll need a stock of newspaper for starting. Anything else I need?

Welcome to the forum Ishmael69.

First and foremost, you must have read something wrong as most wood does not need 3 years to dry. However, you may have heard about the 3 year plan and that is to be 3 years ahead on your wood piles. That is indeed great advice for all but it also takes some time to get there. Also in your area, perhaps a 2 year plan might work just as well.

It sounds like you have some good wood right there although I am not familiar with black jack oak. But elm and walnut and pine are all good woods that do not take more than a year of drying.

How much will you burn? My guess would be that you would probably not burn more than 2 cord but that is only a guess as I do not know the size of your home nor what your plans are. You will learn much in your first 2 years for sure. But remember that in your first year especially, you will no doubt burn more than you will after you once learn the stove.

For firestarters, you can use small pine branches, pine cones etc. Many on this forum like the Super Cedars sold by NW_fuels. If you do a search on here for the Super Cedars you will find a good thread and Thomas will politely send you a couple samples. If you do this, the first thing you want to do is break each one into quarters so you have 8 firestarters. Methinks you will love them and they are not expensive either.

Good luck.

Reactions: Fred Wright
I've got blackjack oak and elm in my back yard. There is a lot of black walnut and pine around the area too. While I plan on cutting my own if I can, I am not sure how much I'll need. I was going to order at least a rick maybe two for seasoning, then start cutting what has fallen in my yard from the ice storm. I wanted to see how much I used before I started hunting other people's property. Across from the golf course, there is an are of about 10 acres that they just uprooted all the trees from for development and there are about 50 (or more) good sized trees lying around. Not sure what kind, but I thought about stopping and asking if I could take a couple.

What is a rick?

Second, I would start asking around first. Get a good supply built up, and then you can supplement from your own property at your leisure. What's the temp like there? How many months do you need to heat and how cold does it typically get?

According to one place:
  • Measuring firewood: One rick equals 4 ft high x 8 ft long. Pieces are 16" to 18" long.
Temp right now has been in the 30s and 40s. We'll probably have a couple of hard freezes between now and March or so. It can get down to zero once or twice a winter. Hopefully we've had our ice storm for this year already.

My home is 2300ish sf. I have central heat, so how much I burn depends on how much we like it. Our living room (where the stove is going) is open with vaulted ceilings, so we wanted the stove to keep it warm and provide ambiance. We have fairly regular ice storms with several days of power outages, so emergency heating was another consideration (and why we didn't go pellet). Heating the whole house for cheap regularly would be a bonus.

Reactions: Soundchasm
By the way, thank you everyone so far! I appreciate all of your input. Hopefully I'll be able to actually start a fire soon. I can't wait for my stove to be installed. I got some more gas for the trusty chainsaw tonight (I just bought some, but my gas cans got stolen overnight), and I hope to start my new year with a new wood pile tomorrow.

What is a rick?

Second, I would start asking around first. Get a good supply built up, and then you can supplement from your own property at your leisure. What's the temp like there? How many months do you need to heat and how cold does it typically get?

Think face cord. Same thing.

welcome....I would think buying kiln dried firewood from new mexico might get a little expensive. that said, better to have expensive dry wood burning than cheap wet unseasoned wood and all that creosote it could produce, unless you like ladders. good luck with your buck stove. I think i'd be knocking and seeing if I could get the wood and get started for next year. you'll need the time.

See if you can find some Ash. It dries incredibly fast and is a hardwood.
I am in the trenches of my first year of full time burning out of necessity and I am burning Ash that I cut this summer. Its not ideal, but mixing in a few small pieces of non-treated lumber gets it hot and burning good. I also mix in a few pieces of dry stuff that I have scrounged to make it right and tight.
We have been subzero off and on for a almost a month and we are limping by. Next year will be AWESOME in comparison, but we are able to get by so far.
Good Luck!

Welcome to the asylum. ;)

I'd suggest purchasing your first load of split firewood. Get and check references from the seller before agreeing to a delivery. Wouldn't hurt to get an inexpensive moisture meter to test a split before the seller dumps it. Pop open a split and test the newly split side. MC should be <23% on average if you plan to burn it this winter.

We use twigs and small branches, broken up to start fires. They need to be dry so keep it inside.

Soft maple dries pretty quickly. We're currently working on a stack of red maple I CS&S just last spring. If you're able to scrounge and cut your own, all the better. Try to get at least two years ahead in firewood. :)

Hope it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.