1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

FISHER Papa, Mama, and Baby Bear Details (Bear Series)

Post in 'Fisher Stove Information, Parts, History and More' started by coaly, May 11, 2012.

1. coaly

coaly Fisher Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    NE PA
    They were not rated by BTU since wood species across the country would vary widely.
    Keep in mind they were designed in an area where there is soft woods only.
    Fisher literature for Mama Bear stated; " Heats Approx. 1500 sf " or " up to 1750 sf " or " 1250 - 1750 "
    Here's one of many calculators; http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/burn_time_calculator

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Here is a Fisher ad and dealer listing from 1977 - Coaly, feel free to move the post or tell me if it should be in another thread, etc.
    fisherdeal.jpg
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  3. DianeB

DianeB Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Foot Hills of the Berkshires
    We bought ours in 77 at the Franklin County Fair from the guys out of Bow, NH
  4. Dell

Dell New Member

Loc:
    SE PA
    I like the Fisher Ad. "Will last longer than you will" - true.
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  5. hotinhere

hotinhere New Member

Loc:
    Piedmont VA
    HI folks, My poor Papa Bear is in dire need of fire bricks, but my father-in-law and husband can't seem to find the right "pattern" for setting them. Is there a diagram or something out there? Also, can someone tell me exactly where I can find my stove's number? My hubby and I have both risked sweat, burns, hot mirrors and flashlights trying to find where the number would be on our woodstove, all because I found this site last night and got ALL KINDS OF EXCELLENT INFO! We promise to wait til our stove cools down overnight to look again in the morning before we bank it again for the day. lol
    I have to admit, I never knew the joys of wearing tank tops and shorts in the winter or having to open your front door to cool off your house in the dead of winter with a good piece of oak and a cranking woodstove! I'm hooked, I tell ya. ;)
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  6. coaly

Loc:
    NE PA
    Welcome to the Forum;

You must be looking for this thread;
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/papa-bear-firebricks.89792/

I had a lot of questions about brick replacement so finally titled a thread for Mama , Papa and Baby complete with the original drawing pictures showing brick size and placement. You should always measure the inside first to be sure it was built to the exact size it was supposed to be. You'll be able to tell by the measurements if the brick sizes given add up to what you have.

If the stove came from the state you're in, it would be from the Dunn Brothers. Not sure how methodical they may be numbered if at all. It would be a "stove number", not serial number.
    Stoves from the east coast that I can tell you were numbered were from PA and GA both numbered on the bottom in weld. Others like NY and NJ stamped the back in the upper top corner.

Ace Hardware has bricks by the box about 3.00 each. I found them at a local masonry supply for $1.50 each !

All us guys with Fishers have hot wives ;). And yeah, we don't put the summer clothes away.
    jjs777_fzr likes this.
  7. Shwammy

Shwammy Member

Loc:
    Central NC
  8. coaly

Loc:
    NE PA
    The first post of this thread shows the early doors and draft caps.

The first stoves had steel plate doors, then a cast iron door was suggested by Bob's father Baxter. A few cracked between the air intake holes and the trees were added to make the door thicker. This is an early three piece top before the tops were bent from one piece. The draft caps were pipe caps with a half inch bolt "plug" welded in the center. The draft caps with fins were invented by Bob's father, Baxter as well.
    For a time line on the stoves development you can read The Fisher Stove Story here; Click on attachments tab for PDF of the scanned book
    http://www.hearth.com/talk/wiki/bob-fisher/

Original draft caps;
    Fisher Original Draft cap.JPG Original Fisher Draft Cap.JPG The pipe cap was drilled in the center and welded through the hole to the top of bolt head.

First style cast door; (and also the door style pictured on the Fisher Stove Story cover)
    Notice bent handle and solid chrome ball as well.

Early Papa Bear door.jpg Notice top plate detail welded with 3 pieces.
  9. Shwammy

Shwammy Member

Loc:
    Central NC
    Thanks Coaly, interesting stuff. Now if I can just find one of these for a bit less money....