Papa Bear Firebricks

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

coaly

Fisher Moderator
Staff member
Dec 22, 2007
NE PA
The pictures of the original drawing below (1977) shows 8 additional (letter A size) for an upper row of bricks on the sides. (shown at top and bottom of page, with one brick sideways towards the front where stove top is lower) Many stoves don't have this upper row. Overfiring will show signs of extreme heat by discoloring paint in this area, but under normal operation they are not required.

These are 1 1/4" thick X 4 1/2" X 9" white firebricks;

............................ bricks required ..................................................
A.. 4 1/2 X 9 ...................21 ( 29 total with upper course, 21 without upper course )
J... 3 7/8 X 9 ................... 1
K.. 3 3/8 X 9 ................... 3
L.. 4 1/2 X 5 7/8 .............. 6
M.. 3 3/8 X 5 7/8 ............. 1

Papa Bear Brick Layout.JPG

Install across back first, then sides back to front, then fill in bottom from back to front to hold in place.

The pictures of the original drawing below (1977) shows 8 additional (letter A size) for an upper row of bricks on the sides. (shown at top and bottom of page, with one brick sideways towards the front where stove top is lower) Most stoves don't have this upper row. Overfiring will show signs of extreme heat by discoloring paint in this area, but under normal operation they are not required.

............................ bricks required ..................................................
A.. 4 1/2 X 9 ...................21 ( 29 total with upper course )

View attachment 73306

Thanks a million for this. I will go and buy the complet set. It looks like it is going to be fun to reach the ones in the back. Thanks again.

Hello Coaly: Acquired a little used Mama Bear about 30 years ago. Stored in the basement and not used. Until now! Or will use it after my new outside shop is completed. I have the firebrick in a box (took out of the stove to save weight in moving - Duh!) and now need the layout, as above, except for the Mama Bear. Do you have such?

Also in reading the Fisher thread, there is talk about adding a baffle. My stove is not the older one, but it does have a square opening and square door. There is no baffle inside; just a plate beneath the 6" flue.

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

The brick layout is in the Mama Bear Firebrick thread here;
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/mama-bear-firebricks.88386/

And the baffle pictured in this thread is in my Mama Bear that worked out very well sitting on the small horizontal plate below the outlet. 2 firebricks stood upright on the sides supports the front of a solid steel plate on an angle that directs the flame to the stove top, instead of out the rear outlet.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/...d-fisher-more-heat-less-smoke-under-25.74710/

The pictures of the original drawing below (1977) shows 8 additional (letter A size) for an upper row of bricks on the sides. (shown at top and bottom of page, with one brick sideways towards the front where stove top is lower) Many stoves don't have this upper row. Overfiring will show signs of extreme heat by discoloring paint in this area, but under normal operation they are not required.

A.. 4 1/2 X 9 ...................21 ( 29 total with upper course, 21 without upper course )

View attachment 73306

Install across back first, then sides back to front, then fill in bottom from back to front to hold in place.
Coaly,

Is there any chance you could e-mail me the fire brick schematic. I can't read the letter designation on the screen display. Firing up my Grandpa for the first time tomorrow and need to replace a couple of bricks.

Thanks,

The Bear

Coaly,

Is there any chance you could e-mail me the fire brick schematic. I can't read the letter designation on the screen display. Firing up my Grandpa for the first time tomorrow and need to replace a couple of bricks.

Thanks,

The Bear
Welcome to the Forum;
Which Grandpa do you have?

The diagram above is for Papa Bear.
If you click on the picture, it will open in another window much larger, full screen.

Welcome to the Forum;
Which Grandpa do you have?

The diagram above is for Papa Bear.
If you click on the picture, it will open in another window much larger, full screen.

Coaly,

Thanks for the response. Got it copied and printed. Mine is a pre-1980 with the pipe coming out the rear. Will post some pics for you as soon as I get them off the camera.

Thanks,

The Bear

A pre 1980 Grandpa will have two flat top doors and use 6 bricks across the back.

First look at the side bricks to see if they are on top of the bottom bricks or go all the way down to the bottom and are held in place by the bottom bricks. You can tell by how high the brick retainers are welded to the stove sides. If a full brick sets on the bottom layer and would fit under the retainer, they fit as stated in thread below. If when you set a brick upright on the bottom bricks and it is above the retainer, it needs to be put in first and the bottom holds it in place. Whatever the case, when you remove one, vacuum and scrape every trace of ash from the cavity before attempting to insert a new one. It needs to be clean, clean, clean to fit.

Here's a thread that includes brick size and placement.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/grandpa-bear-firebricks.117985/

I've looked everywhere on how to ask my question. I have a 40 yr old grandpa bear that's brass, double door glass. Now, my dad bought it new when it first came out. He built the house and decided it was way too much heat for the 1,600 sq foot house, so it's been stored in my shop and never fired. It's still in new shape and I'm wanting to sell it. I can't find any pictures of it anywhere to compare it to. I'm trying to find a value. Can you help me? He paid $900 for it back then and I know it's worth a lot now. Thanks

Whatever the buyer is willing to pay.
Is the stove new and unfired?
(I'll move your post to a new thread of it's own when I know how to title it) Welcome to the Forum !

Collectors like myself watch eBay and Craigslist. Someone who wants to use it is going to compare prices to the average used stove. Price varies by area since some states no longer allow any stoves not EPA Certified to be used. (WA, OR, CA) Yours would be UL listed, so it can be used in all other states. Price also varies by season. Now is the lowest in the Northern Hemisphere, opposite to the highest in the Southern Hemisphere where they were made in New Zealand / Australia.

There are 2 models in Brass and Glass. The earlier Model III has flat top glass opening, Model IV is shown below. (Yours should have a UL tag giving model and where it was fabricated) This means a lot to a collector. You are close to the Dunn Brothers and Georgia fabricators, so it could be either. I can give you more info on it (and who possibly built it) with the tag info.

IV Finest Fishers.jpg

They were also available in Satin Black and Metallic Brown.
If yours uses 6 bricks across the back, it is a Grandpa. Grandma uses 5.

Whatever the buyer is willing to pay.
Is the stove new and unfired?
(I'll move your post to a new thread of it's own when I know how to title it) Welcome to the Forum !

Collectors like myself watch eBay and Craigslist. Someone who wants to use it is going to compare prices to the average used stove. Price varies by area since some states no longer allow any stoves not EPA Certified to be used. (WA, OR, CA) Yours would be UL listed, so it can be used in all other states. Price also varies by season. Now is the lowest in the Northern Hemisphere, opposite to the highest in the Southern Hemisphere where they were made in New Zealand / Australia.

There are 2 models in Brass and Glass. The earlier Model III has flat top glass opening, Model IV is shown below. (Yours should have a UL tag giving model and where it was fabricated) This means a lot to a collector. You are close to the Dunn Brothers and Georgia fabricators, so it could be either. I can give you more info on it (and who possibly built it) with the tag info.

View attachment 181754

They were also available in Satin Black and Metallic Brown.
If yours uses 6 bricks across the back, it is a Grandpa. Grandma uses 5.

I'll be down at my shop this evening and take some pix for you. I'm starting to think that my dad had him custom make this one. I'll count the bricks too, but I'm sure it's the 6 brick. Thanks. I'm sure you'll be impressed.

Status
Not open for further replies.