Fisher Polar Bear Air Circulation Motor Broken

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MyPolarBear

Mar 2, 2022
There are 2 small motors that circulate air around the insert. One of the motors is dead. The tech guy at Grainger thinks it is a C-motor but does not know which one. Does anyone know how to get a replacement motor? (There is no information in the Owner's Manual.)

Do you have a electric motor repair shop nearby? They can check windings, armature and brushes. Does it turn freely by hand?
Blowers were optional, so they are not in manual.
Is it removed, so you can get any numbers off it?
Woodman’s Parts Plus has replacement blower motors, it would be a match up.

Thanks for the questions. When the Grainger Guy took the motor out, there were no numbers. There is a motor repair shop close by so I will take it to them and see if they can repair it or find a replacement. The shaft seems to spin so maybe there is hope. Thanks again.

Thanks for the questions. When the Grainger Guy took the motor out, there were no numbers. There is a motor repair shop close by so I will take it to them and see if they can repair it or find a replacement. The shaft seems to spin so maybe there is hope. Thanks again.
Look it over to see how you can oil the bearings. Keep the other one oiled yearly. If it is not rebuildable, the electric motor service shop may have a replacement. They may even have brushless replacement type. That is normally the issue when brushes wear or hang up not making contact with commutator segments on rotor shaft. Best case scenario is a quick brush replacement.

Reactions: D. Hermit
Look it over to see how you can oil the bearings. Keep the other one oiled yearly. If it is not rebuildable, the electric motor service shop may have a replacement. They may even have brushless replacement type. That is normally the issue when brushes wear or hang up not making contact with commutator segments on rotor shaft. Best case scenario is a quick brush replacement.
The motor repair shop was able to repair the motor but needs a new fan belt. The existing belt looks like an o-ring so I am trying to find the correct replacement. The inside is 2.5" and it is 1/8" diameter. Grainger has lots of o rings but I don't know what material it should be made of to withstand the heat. Anyone know? Thanks!

I would try the Buna-n (nitrile) from Home Depot. The measurement of original is probably stretched, so maybe the 2 1/4 Inside x 2 1/2 outside? There are higher temp o-rings available, but you would probably have to order it, so this will get you the correct size, and may hold up since Buna is normally 250*. I think that is static, in a sealing type use. Durabelt.com is the place for specialty belts, but I would use cheap locally available o-ring to get the size needed first.