1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fiskar Super Splitter

Post in 'The Gear' started by dave7965, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave7965

dave7965 New Member

Loc:
    Rhode Island
    For all of you that swear by the Fiskar Super Splitter I was wondering how necessary it is to buy the blade sharpener as well. Also where can I get a good deal on one ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. schortie

schortie Member

Loc:
    michigan
    Uh-oh, hold on to your hats.

I think there was a thread about this in the early fall. A quick search should turn it up.
  3. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    I believe the consensus was that just getting the sharpener wasn't enough. You need to get the entire lineup of Fiskars axes and then hang them prominently on the wall.
  4. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I just use a stone on it
  5. dave11

dave11 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    There are folks here who say they never sharpen mauls, including the SuperSplitter, but I bought the Fiskars sharpener, and use it now and then. A sharper edge makes a noticeable difference, in my opinion.
  6. Nonprophet

Nonprophet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oregon
    Well, I for one wouldn't call the Super Splitter a "maul," it's really a splitting axe/maul hybrid in my book, and yes, unlike a straight maul it really helps to keep it sharpened as the edge will get dulled with use. I bought my Fiskars sharpener off of Amazon for $9.95 with free shipping. It's a nice little tool--I use it on my Sport Hatchet too.......

NP
  7. Jeff S

Jeff S Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Kimball,Michigan
    I believe the sharpener is useful for a quick touch up,if the edge is a little ragged I will use a file.
  8. dante2

dante2 New Member

Loc:
    Okc OK
    I don't have any Fiskars products as of yet but I did get the sharpener from Lowes. Check in the garden section by the hand trimmers and garden tools.
  9. Stlshrk

Stlshrk Member

Loc:
    VA
    Saw the Fiskars sharpener on sale at Lowe's today for $6 and change.
  10. gibson

gibson New Member

Loc:
    Lincoln, RI
    Did some "real" splitting a few weeks ago. Big 12-18" + diameter oak and maple rounds. After my father-in-law watched me bounce my fiskars off of the 1st round 10-15 times he handed me a 10# maul (he was using his 8#). Splitting on 1-2 swings after that. The Fiskars are useful tools, but they have their place.
  11. Nonprophet

Loc:
    Oregon
    I guess "big" is in the eye of the beholder.......lol. I've split many 30"+ rounds of Fir and Walnut and some 24" rounds of White Oak with my SS, no problems. I even split up some 20"-24" rounds of ELM with my SS, I couldn't believe how well it split those large Elm rounds--to be honest I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, ELm is tough stuff and !$%# to split!

NP
  12. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    I have a a 6lb maul and a 2.25lb Pro Splitter.

I have found nothing that my maul can do that my 2.25lb Fiskars cannot do.

If a Fiskars ain't working then chalk it up to operator error.
  13. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Oh wow, how dare you speak blasphemy against Fiskars. Didn't you know that Fiskars descended from the Hand Of God Himself to the holy land of Fin over 4 centuries ago. And be sure to bend your knees when using one, like this:
    [​IMG]
  14. quads

quads Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Sands, Wisconsin
    Does your camera shoot video? Let's see some.
  15. Nonprophet

Loc:
    Oregon
    Quads,

I'm just curious. You admit that you've never tried a Fiskars, and, that you never intend to, and yet somehow you keep showing up in Fiskars threads with no experience in using one and no intention of ever trying one. What's up with that???

NP
  16. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT

LOL

While I agree that the Fiskars was handed down from god himself to the masses, I think the person in the photo has some bias :lol:

I think that axe in the photo is the "splitting axe", which has a very short handle. The pro splitter and super splitter have longer handles than that.
  17. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    FYI, Fiskars only makes "Splitting Axes" and they come in three lengths 17", 23.5", and 28"..... the "Pro" and "Super" are the same length at 28" (and are Splitting Axes)
  18. Nonprophet

Loc:
    Oregon
    Actually, they also sell hatchets and chopping axes......see here for the complete line up.

NP
  19. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    yes, and scissors and garden shears and saws and water pails, and shovels, and everything else you can imagine. i was referring to their splitting line-up. There are no mauls, only splitting axes.....
  20. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    They make more than splitting axes...

The fiskars line of axes:

Pro chopping axe - 28 inch handle

chopping axe - 23.5 inch handle

Super splitting axe - 28 inch handle

Pro splitting axe - 28 inch handle

Splitting axe - 23.5 inch handle

Splitting axe - 17.5 inch handle

Brush axe - I call it a "machete" but brush axe is an accurate name too.

Hatchet - 14 inch handle

hatchet - 8 inch handle

Regarldess, My point was that this picture is not of the Super Splitting Axe that gets all the rave reviews, nor even the Pro splitting axe that has the same length handle with a lighter head. In fact, it looks like the shortest version of the "Splitting Axe", with the 17 inch handle as opposed to the 23.5 inch. Could be the 23.5, though.
  21. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    unless he's 5'1" that isn't the 17" splitting axe. (body is 3x the splitter length). I think you are probably on with the 23.5" which would yield a user height of 5'11" (ish)
  22. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    I was actually going with the ratio of handle to axe head based on the photos in your other post, danno. by that judgment it looks shorter than the 23 but longer than the 17, so I don't know.
  23. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I think i know what you are saying. So does the handle length not include the head? since the handle wraps around the head I assumed the total tool length was 17 or 23.5 (even though it says "handle length"). At any rate, we can agree that because it's got a flared head it DEFINITELY isn't the Super splitter and due to it's length it isn't the 28" pro splitter. That being said, I wonder how light the total weight of the 17" is because I wouldn't mind having one of those along on a short packing trip....
  24. Bigg_Redd

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    x2

Put up or shut up
  25. karri0n

karri0n New Member

Loc:
    Eastern CT
    Let him have his fun in the woods with his maul. He quite obviously knows what he's doing, and he's not really bashing the Fiskars. I'm fairly certain Quads gets the point that nobody swinging their fiskars has, as of yet, amputated their shins with the thing.

I'll stick with leaning my fiskars up against a tree and coming back in the morning to a stack of 16-18" splits.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.