1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Fiskars X27

Post in 'The Gear' started by ironguy, Feb 15, 2013.

1. ArsenalDon

ArsenalDon Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Meadow Valley, CA
    nor will I

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Trooper

Trooper Guest

Hi folks. I picked up an X27 after all of the rave reviews and I am generally very happy with it. It split the hardwoods quite easily, and also the smaller pine rounds that I have. A couple comments/questions:
    1. Like Jerry_NJ, I have a number of large wet, sappy, knotty pine rounds that gave the axe trouble. By 'wet' I mean there was water coming from the round after being struck with the axe. I ended up using a sledgehammer and a wood grenade to split, then the axe worked fine, unless it came across a knot. Is this normal? Should I just wait until the rounds dry a little and re-attempt?
    2. After about an hour or so of splitting I noticed a chip in the blade, about half-way up. Is this to be expected? I had the rounds on the ground, so I guess the axe could have hit a rock. Would this be covered under warranty?
    Thanks,
    Trooper
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Trooper, I have continued to split pine that has been cut to rounds and sitting on the ground since last October (Storm Sandy), and I think it is a little less sappy, nicer to handle, but still pine. I also find the grenade helpful in breaking off a edge on a larger round, say over 12". Always split from the outside in, don't try to split down the middle - unless the round is smaller, say 10" or smaller, then the Feskar will handle too.

I don't see your situation under warranty Just sharpen the edge and use a chopping block, use one of your larger rounds as a chopping table, that will limit contact with the ground.
  4. Trooper

Trooper Guest

Thanks Jerry. Our soil here is more like rock with some dirt thrown in...because of that I should be more mindful of striking the ground. I also find a tire helpful as well.