Fitting liner through smoke chamber

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gepp3291

Oct 25, 2019
Hi, I'm looking to install an insert into an old masonry fireplace. I haven't quite gotten to the point of ordering anything because I have a concern about installing my liner. The chimney was rebuilt when I bought the house, the old one was falling away from the house. So all new brickwork and 8x12 flue tiles from the top down to the smoke chamber. The fireplace itself wasn't touched, other than removing an old insert which had been overfired to the point of cracking welds. The throat damper was cut out for a top mounted solution, and there's plenty of room to cut out the frame a little to fit a 6" liner. My problem is above this, the smoke chamber is 34" top to bottom, and necks down from 10"x38" at the bottom to 4"x9" at the top where it meets the new flue tiles. Would common practice be to try to break out a few courses of brick at the top of the smoke chamber to make room? Or would try to ovalize the liner to fit? And then I would imagine it would be an epic struggle to squeeze that liner through a tiny hole and not get snagged on the lip it presents around the bottom of the flue tiles.

My first instinct is to try to remove the brick, Maybe reach up with a digging bar and chisel it out, as I can't reach it even with my shoulder at the old damper. Any tips or tricks?

Thanks in advance.

4" x 9" = 36sq in throat. That is far too small for a fireplace to vent correctly. Seems like whoever did the rebuild messed up.

The ID of the tiles will be about 7" x 11". That won't fit an insulated 6" liner without ovalizing. It might be worth checking out the pre-insulated DuraLiner oval liner as a solution.

4" x 9" = 36sq in throat. That is far too small for a fireplace to vent correctly. Seems like whoever did the rebuild messed up.

The ID of the tiles will be about 7" x 11". That won't fit an insulated 6" liner without ovalizing. It might be worth checking out the pre-insulated DuraLiner oval liner as a solution.

Thank you. The fireplace/smoke chamber weren't rebuilt with the chimney. Still what was original to the house. I had my doubts as to whether or not it was functional, I tried to burn a few fires in it and ended up with smoke in the house until it was blazing hot.

I will give the duraliner a look, as I'll have roughly 23’ of the 8”x12" flue to line. Any tips for that small opening at the top of the smoke chamber though? Thanks again.

Sounds like it will need some surgery at the top to open up to the flue tile.

Sounds like it will need some surgery at the top to open up to the flue tile.

Ok, I suppose that was what I was anticipating. The one question I have left is the best way to accomplish that. The few bricks that would have to go are nearly 3 feet up from the old damper. In my head, I was thinking Running a pinch point digging bar up to the mortar joint and giving a few taps. There isn't a more elegant solution, is there?

Sounds like fun. Chipping hammer taped to a pole? Wear eye protection and a dust mask.

I'll just skip ahead to the face shield. I can definitely see myself looking up the flue getting clocked in the face with a falling brick. Thank you for the help, hopefully I'll have an update with a stove soon.

I'll just skip ahead to the face shield. I can definitely see myself looking up the flue getting clocked in the face with a falling brick. Thank you for the help, hopefully I'll have an update with a stove soon.

Do you have a chainsaw helmet with a face shield? That and a pair of safety glasses for the fines would work well.