Flexible SS Liner Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

erik fuentes

Oct 17, 2020
spokane, wa
So I picked up a wood stove insert (lopi 1250) and decided to install the insert myself. The run from the top of my chimney to the top of the stove is 20' (the insert is going in the basement). At about the 14' mark the chimney takes a bend "left" and then heads straight down again. I slightly ovalized the pipe and have successfully made it to the bend but can't seem to make it past. I also have a rope attached to the liner for pulling. I've read multiple threads here looking for some ideas and I've used a few with not much success. Can anyone offer any ideas?

I was able to jam a 2x4 all the way down to the 14' mark in hopes of kicking the liner to the left but it hasn't really paid off. Maybe i can try rotating the 2x4 to kick it even a little farther left.

Do you thinking attempting an install from the bottom up would be worth a shot?

Any ideas on how to pull that thing laterally instead of up and down?

Should I give up? I do have a fire place upstairs and that chimney is a straight shot. It's a little frustrating because I see the freaking thing.

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

So I picked up a wood stove insert (lopi 1250) and decided to install the insert myself. The run from the top of my chimney to the top of the stove is 20' (the insert is going in the basement). At about the 14' mark the chimney takes a bend "left" and then heads straight down again. I slightly ovalized the pipe and have successfully made it to the bend but can't seem to make it past. I also have a rope attached to the liner for pulling. I've read multiple threads here looking for some ideas and I've used a few with not much success. Can anyone offer any ideas?

I was able to jam a 2x4 all the way down to the 14' mark in hopes of kicking the liner to the left but it hasn't really paid off. Maybe i can try rotating the 2x4 to kick it even a little farther left.

Do you thinking attempting an install from the bottom up would be worth a shot?

Any ideas on how to pull that thing laterally instead of up and down?

Should I give up? I do have a fire place upstairs and that chimney is a straight shot. It's a little frustrating because I see the freaking thing.

Any and all help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
I usually try vibrating the liner with a rotary cleaner to get it moving. If that and a few other tricks don't work it's time to start cutting holes in the chimney

What are the dimensions of your chimney and liner?

I usually try vibrating the liner with a rotary cleaner to get it moving. If that and a few other tricks don't work it's time to start cutting holes in the chimney

Bholler - thanks for the additional advice. My chimney is interior. Just to confirm if i wanted to star cutting holes I'd pretty much just start guess and checking above the mantel right?

Bholler - thanks for the additional advice. My chimney is interior. Just to confirm if i wanted to star cutting holes I'd pretty much just start guess and checking above the mantel right?
Is the liner insulated?