Flexsul-seal vs. Thermo-Pex vs. whatever else

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

2theHunt

Jun 9, 2008
central NH
Does anyone have any experience (positive or negative) with Flexsul-seal. It is made by the makers of Insul-seal. I believe it is really their Insul-seal (insulated pipe) with two pex lines inside and then each end is capped off- which is supposed to trap dead air and almost double the R value. One of my concerns is that it appears that the supply and return lines are just lying inside the insulated core so that they are touching each other. Is it true that the return line may actually steal some of the heat directly from the supply line before it ever has a chance to reach my house. But if it is only a degree or two will that really matter? A couple positives are that it is much more flexible than Thermo-pex and about $4 per foot less expensive.

I looked at that product and ruled it out based on this chart: http://www.flexsulseal.com/performance.php

Unless I am figuring it wrong the 1" product loses 90.6 btu per 100' at 180 degrees/5gpm with a 10deg ambient. Add the loss for the return line and that is almost 11,000 btu/h lost just in the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.