1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Floor support - F600 & Progress Hybrid

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Stephen Schumaker, Jul 28, 2013.

1. charly

charly Guest

OK, now back to jacking up our floors ;lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Amen.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Nope. England's Stove Works does.
    Joful likes this.
  4. Stephen Schumaker

Stephen Schumaker New Member

Loc:
    Springfield, Ohio
    What a great forum! Thanks for all the feedback. I'm off to Lowe's and Home Depot to look at support systems. I spoke to my builder and he said the floor was engineered to support 40 lbs per square foot. I'll see what support I can fit in there before making my final stove decision. I wish Woodstock made a smaller version of the Progress Hybrid but I might be able to make this work. Thanks again.
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  5. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Give it a rest. How many other stove companies sell direct?
    Highbeam and webby3650 like this.
  6. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Does that mean that if you stand with your feet together you are exceeding the weight limit?
    Joful likes this.
  7. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    No disrespect intended here by me and I think I might speak for others. Perhaps because of two different moderators in a different thread brought on some of these comments and likes. I highly respect BB but closing that thread seemed a bit petty. But yes, it is time to move on now.
    Tenn Dave and fox9988 like this.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Thanks for the blessing. :cool:
  9. bag of hammers

bag of hammers Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern ON
    I used the pier block and short 4x4 columns to run a laminated 2x6 support beam mid span under the section of floor that supports the hearth. Using materials i had on hand from reno's. The adjustable saddles are a great idea - I couldn't find them here ( to be honest I didn't kill myself looking). I just sat the posts in the pier blocks ( designed to hold a 4x4 post or beam) and shimmed the top connectors. Pretty sure the floor wasn't going to fail but for a few $ and an hour of my time I have a floor I could set 5 stoves on. And zero noticeable bounce / deflection across an otherwise long span evken when big excited newf is chasing me towards the door at walk time :) Helps me sleep better, even though many would view it as overkill. Also a 3' crawl space, lots of room to work.
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  10. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Good gosh, woodstock makes nothing but small stoves. Even the 2.8 CF PH is smaller than my baby princess. The fireview is the next step down in size from the PH and quite a nice stove if you're into the woodstocks.
    Tenn Dave likes this.
  11. Tenn Dave

Tenn Dave Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE Tennessee and New Jersey Shore
    Better safe than sorry - good job
  12. Stephen Schumaker

Stephen Schumaker New Member

Loc:
    Springfield, Ohio
    The floor is reinforced. The Progress Hybrid arrived this morning. After working with a pallet dolly, lifting straps, four healthy young guys and an older guy (me) the stove is safely on the hearth and assembled. I have to cut down a piece of the old single wall pipe that connects to my 8" outdoor stack and then install my new 6" double wall interior pipe. I'm hoping to finish the install Friday. It should be a warm January!
  13. Backwoods Savage

Loc:
    Michigan
    Bet you can hardly wait. Hopefully you will post some pictures.
  14. DougA

DougA Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S. ON
    This is a little late maybe. I agree that a group of 3 standing together approximates the same weight HOWEVER, you've got all that weight in a few square inches of iron legs, not a few sq. ft. 6 of human feet.
    That being said, I would simply reinforce the floor surface and spread the weight over a much larger area that will cover a few joists, not just one. Three of four sections of 4' 4x4, then 3/4" plywood, then ceramic tiles would provide a new hearth and also spread the weight around a lot. Much easier than working in the crawl space. Plus, for old guys like me, you don't have to bend over as far when loading wood. Bending is becoming a problem for me, especially after a day of chainsaw work. I'm moving my next stove 6" higher. I'm now considering a Progress Hybrid also after seeing the comments and test results on this forum. Just have to get over the pain in the wallet.

I would check the crawl space to ensure that you are putting the support opposite to the joists and add some reinforcement (as per suggestions) if things look weak.
  15. rideau

rideau Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern ontario
    I installed my PH just before Christmas 2012...one of the nicest Christmas presents one can imagine...a gift that keeps on giving.

Enjoy your stove. It is a thing of beauty.
    HollowHill likes this.
  16. robbydanilow

robbydanilow New Member

Loc:
    CT Shoreline
    Good call reinforcing the structure under your stove. We are looking at a static load vs a dynamic load. Just installed our FV on a raised and extended hearth. Between the stove and hearth I have added approximately 800 Lbs over the existing cantilevered concrete hearth and one joist on my floor that will sit 24/7 as long as I own this house. You bet I sistered some lumber in and added some hangers. Cost me 40$ @ the local Home Depot. Now there is zero bounce in the floor near my hearth. Enjoy the PH just saw one up in New Hampshire it is a substantial piece of soapstone! I have heated 1300 square feet for the last two weeks easily with the smaller Fireview and love every minute I don't hear my heat kicking on.