Flue cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe245

Oct 21, 2009
SW of Boston
Well that time off year, I have a SS flex liner and after the first season I need to do what I probable should have done at least once last season but never got to it. My question is poly or metal brush to sweep the liner. From what I read, I should use poly on the flex liner but I then read that poly brushes will not remove creosote.They only remove soot, So not wanting to damage the liner do I use the poly with a chemical spray or go with the metal brush and just go easy. P.S. Hope all had a great summer

I have never had to clean a liner before. I dont know if steel or poly is a myth on the flex. Does your product info tell you anything?
Have you had a good look at the shape of the liner yet. Run a poly brush through it and see what it exposes for ya. If you have been burning proper, soot is all that will be there. If some reminisce is still there, run it hot and do another brushing if its still a concern. Uncle Brother Bart helpfully can chime in. (Ohh Paging Alice)

I would think the only thing a brush (steel OR poly) would not remove is stage 3 or "glaze" creosote. That requires treatment with a chemical compound which basically "converts" it into something brushable. As stated, if you are burning dry wood and burning correctly, soot is all you will have to worry about brushing. I'm using a poly brush going on 2 years now, and it's always cleaned my stainless steel chimney just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.