Flue question - Please Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodjack

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2008
Woodstock, NY
Do Double Wall Connectors have larger exterior diameters than Single Wall Connectors?

I'm replacing my old with secon hand new.

The Regency owners manual requires 32 inches clearance from the side wall to the flue center-line using a Single Wall connector. For installations using a Double Wall Connector the clearance requirement is 30 inches.

The existing flue would place the flue center line at 30.5 inches, 1.5 inches short of Regency's Single Wall clearance requirements, but within Double Wall requirements.

My question:
Do Double Wall Connectors have larger exterior diameters than Single Wall Connectors, thereby using up that inch and half I need to conform to Regency specs?

(If possible, I'd like to use the existing ceiling connector and run a straight flue into it without the use of elbows.)

Double wall should not eat up your 1-1/2" cushion.
You could also use single wall with heat shield mounted to it. Depends on the look you want.
If you use double wall insulated Class A, I would think that should reduce clearances quite a bit. Depends on what your manual says.

Just looked at your manual & what I find strange is with a corner install, you can have much less clearance to the center of the flue.
So if need be, can you spin the stove so its a corner install and then you have 24" center flue to wall clearance for single & 22" for double.

After looking around, seems corner installs typically allow for closer center of flue clearances.
Double wall give merely a few inches closer tolerances. But maybe enough for your situation.

Hogwildz said:
Double wall give merely a few inches closer tolerances. But maybe enough for your situation.

That's what I'm hoping for. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.