Flue Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
I have a wood stove that likes a good draft to function properly. IT has a 6" pipe. My chimney is 12" square. Does a larger chimney REDUCE The draft or increase it. How can i mate this stove to this chimney? A chimney inside a chimney possibly? Any ideas? Chimney is about 25Ft high above the stove.

trump said:
I have a wood stove that likes a good draft to function properly. IT has a 6" pipe. My chimney is 12" square. Does a larger chimney REDUCE The draft or increase it. How can i mate this stove to this chimney? A chimney inside a chimney possibly? Any ideas? Chimney is about 25Ft high above the stove.

You need to install a 6" flue liner into the old flue, just like your suspected. Large flues will have much greater flue gas capacity, but will be sluggish and cool with a stove designed for a smaller flue. That will reduce your actual draft by a considerable amount. In your case, it would be totally unsafe to use that flue without a liner. Too much difference in area.

Battenkiller said:
trump said:

You need to install a 6" flue liner into the old flue, just like your suspected. Large flues will have much greater flue gas capacity, but will be sluggish and cool with a stove designed for a smaller flue. That will reduce your actual draft by a considerable amount. In your case, it would be totally unsafe to use that flue without a liner. Too much difference in area.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Any suggestions how to install a 6" inside a 12" THe 12" has a liner but its still 12" I would think a regular flue pipe would rust out in summer when not in use (black iron or galvanized) ALso i would like to hook up more than 1 stove to this flue so if i could section it some way. All my stoves have a 6" pipe. I already have longwood wood stove with a 6" flue pipe hooked up to this flue and it works fine. but its not a downdraft stove like the harman Tl-300 that i want to use.

No, you need a 6" metal flue liner specifically made for the purpose. I don't know that much about the options, so I won't give suggestions, but you'll get a lot more responses if you re-post in the "Hearth Room" forum instead of the "Wood Shed".

Status
Not open for further replies.