Flue Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seasoned Oak

Minister of Fire
Oct 17, 2008
Eastern Central PA
I have a wood stove that likes a good draft to function properly. IT has a 6” pipe. My chimney is 12” square. Does a larger chimney REDUCE The draft or increase it. How can i mate this stove to this chimney? A chimney inside a chimney possibly? Any ideas? Chimney is about 25Ft high above the stove.

that 12 in chimney is way too big. As the gases leave your stove they will cool greatly as they expand to fill that 12x12 chimney which means reduced exit speed of flue gasses and slower / poorer draft. I suggest a stainless steel chimney liner that is insulated.

There are lots of places online that you could buy from or you could call around to a local chimney sweep as they many times will install them also.

I just purchased a 6in SS liner from a member here named TheHeatElement. It's brand is magnaflex and I had 20 feet plus all necessary connecting parts sent to me for 400 bux. I've been very happy w/ the customer service and the product and would suggest him to anyone. I installed the liner myself.

Goood luck.

pen

pen said:
that 12 in chimney is way too big. As the gases leave your stove they will cool greatly as they expand to fill that 12x12 chimney which means reduced exit speed of flue gasses and slower / poorer draft. I suggest a stainless steel chimney liner that is insulated.

There are lots of places online that you could buy from or you could call around to a local chimney sweep as they many times will install them also.

I just purchased a 6in SS liner from a member here named TheHeatElement. It's brand is magnaflex and I had 20 feet plus all necessary connecting parts sent to me for 400 bux. I've been very happy w/ the customer service and the product and would suggest him to anyone. I installed the liner myself.

Goood luck.

pen

Is your ss liner insulated and do you suppose i could put it right inside the 12 x12?

since mine was such a tight fit I insulated next to my liner w/ small loose vermiculite insulation.

Since your is huge (making this job much easier) you'd want to opt for a pre-insulated liner.

There are several options that you could consider since you have so much room to work with. I suggest sending a Private Message to TheHeatElement on here to get his advice or else contacting someone in your area. Most people don't have the room you have to work with so really you've got an ideal circumstance so long as the top of your chimney is easily accessible and the chimney itself is in good condition and meets proper height requirements, etc.

pen

pen said:
since mine was such a tight fit I insulated next to my liner w/ small loose vermiculite insulation.

Since your is huge (making this job much easier) you'd want to opt for a pre-insulated liner.

There are several options that you could consider since you have so much room to work with. I suggest sending a Private Message to TheHeatElement on here to get his advice or else contacting someone in your area. Most people don't have the room you have to work with so really you've got an ideal circumstance so long as the top of your chimney is easily accessible and the chimney itself is in good condition and meets proper height requirements, etc.

pen

I may just Opt to drop regular galvanized 6' Pipe down there. AS i dont use this stove every day ( just heats a work shop) I would get away with about $60 for the pipe. ALso i may need to use the flue for other stoves as well so if i used an insulated flue i t would take up too much room in there. If it turns out that the pipe dont last long, i could then go with SS of the same size. But then were talking $600 + for the pipe.

It cost me 400 to line my chimney. It's your decision if you think that is worthwhile or not.

Also, DO NOT use galvanized. Gal is not meant for wood stove use. If overheated it will burn off the zinc and be very unhealthy for you.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.