Flue size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jondoe941

Jan 31, 2021
Massachusetts
I am looking at installing a wood insert into my existing masonry fire place. My issue is that my existing flue is 7" square will that be enough to fit a 6" flue in it? Also my chimney is only going to need about 12' of height will that cause an issue with the draft? TIA

The liner SHOULD fit, but won't leave much room for insulation if you intended to do that.
The chimney height needed will be specified in the Install Manual for whatever unit you buy.
12' may be a little short, but there are products available to increase the chimney height.

If the clay liners are perfectly straight with no offset joints a bare liner might fit. But not with insulation which you should have

What insert is this for?

I'm planning on using a Wood insert, for secondary heating. The chimney is exterior masonry with clay lining. I have not bought anything yet, so I am open to options

Some inserts like my Hanpton HI200 can use a 5.5 inch liner.