Flue temps on double wall pipe plus I changed my 45's

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jfk4th

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
NY
Well I really don't want to drill into my double wall pipe and I was just curious if anybody has put a Rutland thermo on the pipe anyway. I know it will be off but does anybody know by how much. I had my Rutland up to around 300 on the double wall and I was thinking that the flue temp would be around 500-600F. I have 2 other Rutland's on the stovetop for burning temperature which works fine but I was always curious about the flue temp (yes I have a problem buying thermometers...too cheap at the end of the year to pass up :) )

Here is another thing I did a couple of days ago. Last year I put 2 45's (for clearance) starting from the stove collar then adjustable double to the ceiling (as you can kind of see from my avatar) when I got my Avalon Olympic (thanks Avalon for making me buy brand new double wall...brats..I had just bought new Selkir double wall for my Summit) Anyway I was getting a little smoke when reloading many times which made my wife very upset :shut: I have 19 feet of total pipe so it rips for draft when the door is closed but when I open the door it gets frustrating. I have tried the "open the top bypass damper and open the air all the way, wait a little bit then slowly open the door (shutting off the blower too)". This helped but not enough some times...

So just recently I put the 2 45's near the ceiling and put my adjustable double wall pipe right on the stove collar. It seemed to make a difference, wish I would have thought of this earlier. Does anybody know why? I was thinking the draft is a little better now because the pipe goes straight up for about 3 or 4 feet before the 45's come in to play (as before the 45's slowed the draft a little bit?) Just a guess.....

it cloud be some where around 200-300 degs. less but the thinckness of the pipe and the air space between the innner and outer walls if the stove is runing well and you are getting good burn times you should be able to run the stove with just a stove top thermo and be fine

ahh just drill it. We have them installed in most of our clients homes and do not have problems. Its really nice to know what the flue gas temp is...

MountainStoveGuy said:
ahh just drill it. We have them installed in most of our clients homes and do not have problems. Its really nice to know what the flue gas temp is...

Yah I kind of figured you might say that :)
I just may I guess

some thermometers need two drill bit sizes, some one. The condars i believe require just one size. Its scary how easy that pipe drills :/ . One thing, if you do decide to install one on a telescoping piece, and you drill it where the pieces lap, you will have a hard time moving that pipe up and down when the thermo is out unless you really get all the burs off. I just mount it above the 'scope and you really never have to worry about it..

^ Yup, drill it. A mag thermo on the outside of double wall...you're just always gonna be wondering. A probe, you're gonna know. I use mags on my single wall, but if I ever change out to double wall (which I'm considering doing) I'm installing probes. Rick

I drilled our double-wall in all of about 10 seconds. No big deal, really. Just do it.

BeGreen said:
I drilled our double-wall in all of about 10 seconds. No big deal, really. Just do it.

It's OK if you take more than 10 seconds. Measure 10 times, drill once. ;-P Rick

Trust me . . . if I can install a probe thermometer without somehow horribly screwing things up, any one can.

Incidentally, I put in a Condar . . . and it did need two different sized drill bits. As Rick said . . . just take your time, plan where you want it, make sure you have the right sized bits and go for it.

You will not be sorry . . . you'll have a much better idea of your flue temp and will find yourself looking at this temp reading as often if not more than your stove's temp.

One more thing, if you install a probe thermometer, remember to remove it BEFORE you clean the flue( don't ask me how I know).

Status
Not open for further replies.